Aug 13, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
If you ever wondered what happened to former top prospect Angel Villalona, here’s an update.
According to the Associated Press, Villalona has sued the Giants for over $5 million, alleging violation of contract. For those unfamiliar, Villalona was charged with murder in his native Dominican Republic in September of 2009. Charges were eventually dismissed due to lack of evidence after witnesses recanted their testimony.
The suit against the Giants was filed August 8 in the Dominican Republic. Villalona, now 21 years old, seeks $10,400 in lost wages and $5 million in compensation for moral and material damage experienced. The suit also requires the Giants to make a decision on his contract status within five days.
Villalona was given a team record $2.1 million signing bonus when he joined the Giants in 2006 at the age of 16. Highly-regarded for his bat, Baseball America ranked him as the No. 33 prospect in the game prior to the 2008 season and the No.44 prospect in 2009. He is currently practicing in the Dominican Republic in an effort to revive his once promising career.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)