Aug 13, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
If you ever wondered what happened to former top prospect Angel Villalona, here’s an update.
According to the Associated Press, Villalona has sued the Giants for over $5 million, alleging violation of contract. For those unfamiliar, Villalona was charged with murder in his native Dominican Republic in September of 2009. Charges were eventually dismissed due to lack of evidence after witnesses recanted their testimony.
The suit against the Giants was filed August 8 in the Dominican Republic. Villalona, now 21 years old, seeks $10,400 in lost wages and $5 million in compensation for moral and material damage experienced. The suit also requires the Giants to make a decision on his contract status within five days.
Villalona was given a team record $2.1 million signing bonus when he joined the Giants in 2006 at the age of 16. Highly-regarded for his bat, Baseball America ranked him as the No. 33 prospect in the game prior to the 2008 season and the No.44 prospect in 2009. He is currently practicing in the Dominican Republic in an effort to revive his once promising career.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)