Aug 13, 2011, 3:40 PM EDT
If you ever wondered what happened to former top prospect Angel Villalona, here’s an update.
According to the Associated Press, Villalona has sued the Giants for over $5 million, alleging violation of contract. For those unfamiliar, Villalona was charged with murder in his native Dominican Republic in September of 2009. Charges were eventually dismissed due to lack of evidence after witnesses recanted their testimony.
The suit against the Giants was filed August 8 in the Dominican Republic. Villalona, now 21 years old, seeks $10,400 in lost wages and $5 million in compensation for moral and material damage experienced. The suit also requires the Giants to make a decision on his contract status within five days.
Villalona was given a team record $2.1 million signing bonus when he joined the Giants in 2006 at the age of 16. Highly-regarded for his bat, Baseball America ranked him as the No. 33 prospect in the game prior to the 2008 season and the No.44 prospect in 2009. He is currently practicing in the Dominican Republic in an effort to revive his once promising career.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)