Aug 13, 2011, 3:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: Well, the Giants have officially recalled Brandon Belt from Triple-A Fresno, but it’s not for the reason we thought.
While it looked like Belt would replace Carlos Beltran on the active roster, the Giants have placed Andres Torres on the disabled list with a contusion to his lower right leg. Torres suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his leg during last night’s game.
2:00 PM: According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Brandon Belt is currently en route to Miami from Triple-A Fresno.
His activation isn’t 100 percent certain, but this is a strong indication that the Giants are leaning toward placing Carlos Beltran on the disabled list. Beltran hasn’t played since Sunday due to a strained right wrist/hand and was still experiencing pain swinging the bat yesterday.
Nate Schierholtz was held out of the starting lineup for the past two days with a right hip flexor injury, but that he was able to pinch-hit last night indicates that he should be healthy enough to return to the lineup relatively soon.
Belt, 23, is batting .218/.322/.333 with two home runs, seven RBI and a .656 OPS over 90 plate appearances with the Giants this season. It’s worth nothing that he played right field last night for Triple-A Fresno.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 0
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a serious Achilles injury Saturday night 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 89
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 77
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)