Aug 13, 2011, 3:16 PM EST
UPDATE: Well, the Giants have officially recalled Brandon Belt from Triple-A Fresno, but it’s not for the reason we thought.
While it looked like Belt would replace Carlos Beltran on the active roster, the Giants have placed Andres Torres on the disabled list with a contusion to his lower right leg. Torres suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off his leg during last night’s game.
2:00 PM: According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, Brandon Belt is currently en route to Miami from Triple-A Fresno.
His activation isn’t 100 percent certain, but this is a strong indication that the Giants are leaning toward placing Carlos Beltran on the disabled list. Beltran hasn’t played since Sunday due to a strained right wrist/hand and was still experiencing pain swinging the bat yesterday.
Nate Schierholtz was held out of the starting lineup for the past two days with a right hip flexor injury, but that he was able to pinch-hit last night indicates that he should be healthy enough to return to the lineup relatively soon.
Belt, 23, is batting .218/.322/.333 with two home runs, seven RBI and a .656 OPS over 90 plate appearances with the Giants this season. It’s worth nothing that he played right field last night for Triple-A Fresno.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)