Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
The story is still basically developing, but we’ll bring you the early talking points.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, talented and outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans late Saturday evening, about 30 minutes after the Marlins’ 3-0 loss to the Giants.
The Marlins cited Morrison’s recent offensive slump as the reason for his sudden demotion, and he is batting just .226 with a .291 on-base percentage since the start of July, but LoMo told reporters after getting news of the roster move that he believes he is being punished for an off-field matter.
“Right now I just feel resentment and anger,” said Morrison.
When asked if he felt his candidness on Twitter had something to do with the move, he brushed that off.
“I think it’s something else but I don’t know if I want to say it right now,” said LoMo. “I don’t want to say much right now.”
Those quotes come courtesy of the Palm Beach Post‘s Joe Capozzi. There’s sure to be more fallout Sunday.
The Marlins also released Wes Helms on Saturday. Corresponding roster additions will be forthcoming.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)