Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 PM EST
The story is still basically developing, but we’ll bring you the early talking points.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, talented and outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans late Saturday evening, about 30 minutes after the Marlins’ 3-0 loss to the Giants.
The Marlins cited Morrison’s recent offensive slump as the reason for his sudden demotion, and he is batting just .226 with a .291 on-base percentage since the start of July, but LoMo told reporters after getting news of the roster move that he believes he is being punished for an off-field matter.
“Right now I just feel resentment and anger,” said Morrison.
When asked if he felt his candidness on Twitter had something to do with the move, he brushed that off.
“I think it’s something else but I don’t know if I want to say it right now,” said LoMo. “I don’t want to say much right now.”
Those quotes come courtesy of the Palm Beach Post‘s Joe Capozzi. There’s sure to be more fallout Sunday.
The Marlins also released Wes Helms on Saturday. Corresponding roster additions will be forthcoming.
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 44
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 74
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 12
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)