Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 PM EST
The story is still basically developing, but we’ll bring you the early talking points.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, talented and outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans late Saturday evening, about 30 minutes after the Marlins’ 3-0 loss to the Giants.
The Marlins cited Morrison’s recent offensive slump as the reason for his sudden demotion, and he is batting just .226 with a .291 on-base percentage since the start of July, but LoMo told reporters after getting news of the roster move that he believes he is being punished for an off-field matter.
“Right now I just feel resentment and anger,” said Morrison.
When asked if he felt his candidness on Twitter had something to do with the move, he brushed that off.
“I think it’s something else but I don’t know if I want to say it right now,” said LoMo. “I don’t want to say much right now.”
Those quotes come courtesy of the Palm Beach Post‘s Joe Capozzi. There’s sure to be more fallout Sunday.
The Marlins also released Wes Helms on Saturday. Corresponding roster additions will be forthcoming.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (82)