Aug 13, 2011, 11:17 PM EDT
The story is still basically developing, but we’ll bring you the early talking points.
According to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, talented and outspoken left fielder Logan Morrison was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans late Saturday evening, about 30 minutes after the Marlins’ 3-0 loss to the Giants.
The Marlins cited Morrison’s recent offensive slump as the reason for his sudden demotion, and he is batting just .226 with a .291 on-base percentage since the start of July, but LoMo told reporters after getting news of the roster move that he believes he is being punished for an off-field matter.
“Right now I just feel resentment and anger,” said Morrison.
When asked if he felt his candidness on Twitter had something to do with the move, he brushed that off.
“I think it’s something else but I don’t know if I want to say it right now,” said LoMo. “I don’t want to say much right now.”
Those quotes come courtesy of the Palm Beach Post‘s Joe Capozzi. There’s sure to be more fallout Sunday.
The Marlins also released Wes Helms on Saturday. Corresponding roster additions will be forthcoming.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)