Aug 13, 2011, 1:10 PM EDT
Boy, if this isn’t symbolic of the way the Pirates have collapsed in the standings recently, I’m not sure what is.
The Pirates just announced that Derrek Lee has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a bone fracture in his left wrist. Lee has missed six out of the last eight games due to lingering soreness in his left hand as a result of being hit by a pitch from Carlos Marmol back on August 3.
Needless to say, the acquisition of Lee hasn’t worked out the way the Pirates hoped it would. The 35-year-old first baseman has been limited to just 19 plate appearances since being acquired from the Orioles on July 30, batting .278 with two homers, a triple and three RBI.
Of course, the Pirates are all but out of things in the National League Central now, so they shouldn’t really waste at-bats on someone who has no future with the team. This probably won’t happen, but why not give Pedro Alvarez a look at first base sometime in September? That’s where he’ll likely end up eventually.
UPDATE: According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Lee is expected to be sidelined for 2-4 weeks.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)