Aug 14, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
The LoMo demotion continues to confound.
The Marlins’ front office isn’t saying much on the matter, and Logan Morrison kept his comments light on Twitter last evening. So we’re left only to wonder whether his demotion was performance-related or a punishment for an off-field incident.
Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post seems to think it might have been a mixture of both.
Here’s a snippet of Capozzi’s Saturday evening article on the Marlins’ sudden and surprising decision to send the talented and productive 23-year-old outfielder back to Triple-A New Orleans. It seems to go beyond LoMo’s recent slump:
I might be able to clear up the “incident” LoMo referred to when he said he suspected his demotion was related to something off the field.
First, I was told by a person close to LoMo that the matter was not criminal related or even sordid.
Earlier in the day, he refused to participate in a photo session with season ticket holders at Sun Life Stadium. That might sound surprising, given Logan’s outgoing personality and popularity with fans, but apparently there were some hard feelings related to earlier promotional activities.
I know that this past Thursday — a Marlins off day — Logan canceled a charity bowling tournament in Miami because he said the Florida Marlins Community Foundation “dropped the ball” and didn’t sell enough lanes in advance.
Logan wasn’t happy about that. And there apparently were some other events in which players were supposed to participate. There was also an autograph signing earlier Saturday, which Logan participated in. But he put his foot down and did not participate in the photo session with season ticket holders.
Read the rest of Capozzi’s piece for more. It also has a full transcript of quotes from LoMo’s pow-wow with the media after learning that he had been sent to the minors. This story is obviously far from over.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)