Aug 14, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Giants left-hander Barry Zito was placed on the 15-day disabled list at the beginning of August with a sprained muscle in his right foot.
He made a successful rehab start last Monday at Single-A San Jose, tossing 7 2/3 innings while allowing only three runs, and looked to be on track to return to the major leagues within a week or two. But everything must now be put on hold.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, Zito suffered a sprained left ankle Saturday evening at Triple-A Fresno while making his second minor league rehab start.
X-rays have already ruled out a fracture, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters on Sunday morning that Zito is probably going to be sidelined for an extended period of time.
“I saw a picture and it’s pretty bad,” said Bochy. “It’s very swollen. It looks like there’s a baseball in there. It looks like it’ll be quite awhile.”
The injury happened while Zito was attempting to back up home plate. He took an awkward step and his ankle gave out. The 33-year-old has posted a 5.62 ERA and 1.33 WHIP across nine major league starts this year.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)