Aug 14, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
The Giants’ handling of Brandon Belt this season has been frustrating and confusing. He hasn’t produced, but that’s mostly because the San Francisco front office hasn’t given him an opportunity to produce.
(Belt entered play Sunday with only 90 major league plate appearances to his name).
If the talented 23-year-old is going to earn a more active role, he’ll have to make serious noise in the inconsistent spurts of playing time that he gets.
And that’s exactly what the kid did in Sunday afternoon’s 5-2 victory over the Marlins.
In his first game since returning to the majors, Belt crushed his third and fourth home runs of the season — both solo shots. He’s still batting just .232/.330/.415 and the Giants still seem to prefer Aubrey Huff at first base, but the tide can always change. Belt does have the ability to play in a corner outfield spot.
A native of Nacogdoches, Texas, Belt posted a .352/.455/.620 batting line, 23 home runs and 112 RBI in 136 games between Single-A San Jose, Double-A Richmond and Triple-A Fresno last season. He was rated the 23rd most-promising minor league player in the sport this past winter by Baseball America.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 52
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)