Aug 14, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
The Giants’ handling of Brandon Belt this season has been frustrating and confusing. He hasn’t produced, but that’s mostly because the San Francisco front office hasn’t given him an opportunity to produce.
(Belt entered play Sunday with only 90 major league plate appearances to his name).
If the talented 23-year-old is going to earn a more active role, he’ll have to make serious noise in the inconsistent spurts of playing time that he gets.
And that’s exactly what the kid did in Sunday afternoon’s 5-2 victory over the Marlins.
In his first game since returning to the majors, Belt crushed his third and fourth home runs of the season — both solo shots. He’s still batting just .232/.330/.415 and the Giants still seem to prefer Aubrey Huff at first base, but the tide can always change. Belt does have the ability to play in a corner outfield spot.
A native of Nacogdoches, Texas, Belt posted a .352/.455/.620 batting line, 23 home runs and 112 RBI in 136 games between Single-A San Jose, Double-A Richmond and Triple-A Fresno last season. He was rated the 23rd most-promising minor league player in the sport this past winter by Baseball America.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)