Aug 14, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
It appears that answer has now arrived.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, who has been all over the story since Saturday, Morrison is considering filing a grievance against the Marlins for optioning him suddenly to Triple-A. The Fish are citing his recent offensive struggles as the reason for the transaction, but all indications point to off-field issues playing a major role.
And that fact isn’t sitting well with Fred Wray, Morrison’s agent. It probably won’t sit well with the MLBPA either.
“We are going to, with absolute certainty, explore this and contact the union and make sure Logan’s rights are protected,’’ Wray said Sunday. “It doesn’t seem like everything adds up here.’’
Morrison has struggled a bit offensively. He had a really rough July and was still under-performing in August despite recent signs of life. So it’s doubtful that Wray or the MLBPA will win a claim of wrongdoing.
But the fact that LoMo is upset enough to consider the action, and not comfortable enough to settle matters behind closed doors, tells you something about the crumbling relationship between player and management.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)