Aug 14, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
You can type “MLB fanbase rankings” into a Google search and find a couple thousand articles (or slideshows) on the topic. It’s not a unique theme, and it’s a venture often clouded in author’s bias. But the lists tend to be pretty interesting anyway.
Kevin Baxter of the Los Angeles Times penned a piece Saturday dividing 20 of baseball’s 30 fanbases into two categories: “Standing O” and “Raspberries.” The 10 unlisted cities apparently fell somewhere in between those two distinctions.
The usual suspects found their way into the “Standing O” portion: Boston, St. Louis, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Chicago (Cubs), Detroit, etc. And you can probably guess most of the cities populating the “Raspberries” section, like Tampa Bay, Florida, Oakland and Arizona.
Baxter also provides quick one- and two-sentence reviews of each fan group. Check it out. Discuss.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 2
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)