Aug 14, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
Guillen hadn’t played since going 0-for-4 on Friday night, and the Tigers grew tired of operating a man short. The veteran infielder should be ready for big league action again as soon as his 15 days are up.
Guillen, 35, is batting just .207/.247/.329 this year with two home runs and 11 RBI through 89 total plate appearances. Due to injuries, he has played in only 22 of Detroit’s 119 games.
The AL Central-leading Tigers recalled infielder Will Rhymes in a corresponding roster move.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)