Aug 14, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
Guillen hadn’t played since going 0-for-4 on Friday night, and the Tigers grew tired of operating a man short. The veteran infielder should be ready for big league action again as soon as his 15 days are up.
Guillen, 35, is batting just .207/.247/.329 this year with two home runs and 11 RBI through 89 total plate appearances. Due to injuries, he has played in only 22 of Detroit’s 119 games.
The AL Central-leading Tigers recalled infielder Will Rhymes in a corresponding roster move.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8