Aug 14, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
Guillen hadn’t played since going 0-for-4 on Friday night, and the Tigers grew tired of operating a man short. The veteran infielder should be ready for big league action again as soon as his 15 days are up.
Guillen, 35, is batting just .207/.247/.329 this year with two home runs and 11 RBI through 89 total plate appearances. Due to injuries, he has played in only 22 of Detroit’s 119 games.
The AL Central-leading Tigers recalled infielder Will Rhymes in a corresponding roster move.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming