Aug 14, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
Guillen hadn’t played since going 0-for-4 on Friday night, and the Tigers grew tired of operating a man short. The veteran infielder should be ready for big league action again as soon as his 15 days are up.
Guillen, 35, is batting just .207/.247/.329 this year with two home runs and 11 RBI through 89 total plate appearances. Due to injuries, he has played in only 22 of Detroit’s 119 games.
The AL Central-leading Tigers recalled infielder Will Rhymes in a corresponding roster move.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)