Aug 14, 2011, 11:37 AM EDT
Guillen hadn’t played since going 0-for-4 on Friday night, and the Tigers grew tired of operating a man short. The veteran infielder should be ready for big league action again as soon as his 15 days are up.
Guillen, 35, is batting just .207/.247/.329 this year with two home runs and 11 RBI through 89 total plate appearances. Due to injuries, he has played in only 22 of Detroit’s 119 games.
The AL Central-leading Tigers recalled infielder Will Rhymes in a corresponding roster move.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)