Aug 15, 2011, 12:46 PM EST
Alex Gordon revealed yesterday that his agent recently talked to Royals general manager Dayton Moore about a long-term contract extension.
Gordon made it clear that he wants to remain with the Royals, telling Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star:
Staying here? Heck, yeah. I love it here. I love the guys here. I love being close to home. I love the fans. I love everything about this place.
Despite seemingly being around forever Gordon is still just 27 years old and remains under team control for two more seasons via arbitration, so from the Royals’ point of view there’s no rush to get something done. Next year he’ll get a big raise from his current $1.4 million salary, but will likely still earn under $5 million.
After spending much of last year in the minors Gordon is finally having his long-awaited breakout season, hitting .298 with 14 homers, 36 doubles, and an .852 OPS in 116 games. The former No. 2 overall pick and one-time top prospect came into the season as a career .244 hitter with a .733 OPS in 408 games.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)