Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe has a fun article up over at The Hardball Times today. Of course, almost everything Chris Jaffe writes is fun, so this should be no surprise, but this one is more fun than most: it’s baseball’s Randy Moss All-Stars.
What’s a Randy Moss All-Star? According to Chris, it’s a guy who had a terrific career by many measures, but who was still a disappointment. A guy for whom there was always a sense he could’ve been so much more.
Not surprisingly, a lot of these are guys who had attitude issues. Some of them, though, are guys who did some stuff so good that we expected them to do everything so good. I think Andruw Jones is a good example. When we see an elite defensive center fielder with power, we think “Willie Mays!” When, shockingly, Jones didn’t turn out to be Willie Mays, people labeled him a disappointment. I think it’s simply that Jones had two good skills — power and CF defense — that we usually don’t see together with nothing more, so we expected more.
Either way, fun list. Fun article.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)