Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe has a fun article up over at The Hardball Times today. Of course, almost everything Chris Jaffe writes is fun, so this should be no surprise, but this one is more fun than most: it’s baseball’s Randy Moss All-Stars.
What’s a Randy Moss All-Star? According to Chris, it’s a guy who had a terrific career by many measures, but who was still a disappointment. A guy for whom there was always a sense he could’ve been so much more.
Not surprisingly, a lot of these are guys who had attitude issues. Some of them, though, are guys who did some stuff so good that we expected them to do everything so good. I think Andruw Jones is a good example. When we see an elite defensive center fielder with power, we think “Willie Mays!” When, shockingly, Jones didn’t turn out to be Willie Mays, people labeled him a disappointment. I think it’s simply that Jones had two good skills — power and CF defense — that we usually don’t see together with nothing more, so we expected more.
Either way, fun list. Fun article.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 5
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)