Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Chris Jaffe has a fun article up over at The Hardball Times today. Of course, almost everything Chris Jaffe writes is fun, so this should be no surprise, but this one is more fun than most: it’s baseball’s Randy Moss All-Stars.
What’s a Randy Moss All-Star? According to Chris, it’s a guy who had a terrific career by many measures, but who was still a disappointment. A guy for whom there was always a sense he could’ve been so much more.
Not surprisingly, a lot of these are guys who had attitude issues. Some of them, though, are guys who did some stuff so good that we expected them to do everything so good. I think Andruw Jones is a good example. When we see an elite defensive center fielder with power, we think “Willie Mays!” When, shockingly, Jones didn’t turn out to be Willie Mays, people labeled him a disappointment. I think it’s simply that Jones had two good skills — power and CF defense — that we usually don’t see together with nothing more, so we expected more.
Either way, fun list. Fun article.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)