Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe has a fun article up over at The Hardball Times today. Of course, almost everything Chris Jaffe writes is fun, so this should be no surprise, but this one is more fun than most: it’s baseball’s Randy Moss All-Stars.
What’s a Randy Moss All-Star? According to Chris, it’s a guy who had a terrific career by many measures, but who was still a disappointment. A guy for whom there was always a sense he could’ve been so much more.
Not surprisingly, a lot of these are guys who had attitude issues. Some of them, though, are guys who did some stuff so good that we expected them to do everything so good. I think Andruw Jones is a good example. When we see an elite defensive center fielder with power, we think “Willie Mays!” When, shockingly, Jones didn’t turn out to be Willie Mays, people labeled him a disappointment. I think it’s simply that Jones had two good skills — power and CF defense — that we usually don’t see together with nothing more, so we expected more.
Either way, fun list. Fun article.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 55
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)