Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Chris Jaffe has a fun article up over at The Hardball Times today. Of course, almost everything Chris Jaffe writes is fun, so this should be no surprise, but this one is more fun than most: it’s baseball’s Randy Moss All-Stars.
What’s a Randy Moss All-Star? According to Chris, it’s a guy who had a terrific career by many measures, but who was still a disappointment. A guy for whom there was always a sense he could’ve been so much more.
Not surprisingly, a lot of these are guys who had attitude issues. Some of them, though, are guys who did some stuff so good that we expected them to do everything so good. I think Andruw Jones is a good example. When we see an elite defensive center fielder with power, we think “Willie Mays!” When, shockingly, Jones didn’t turn out to be Willie Mays, people labeled him a disappointment. I think it’s simply that Jones had two good skills — power and CF defense — that we usually don’t see together with nothing more, so we expected more.
Either way, fun list. Fun article.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 6
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)