Carlos Zambrano says he wants to stay with the Cubs

Aug 15, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Big Z’s annual apology tour is off and running.

Carlos Zambrano just spoke with David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, giving his first public comments since being ejected from Friday’s game against the Braves and walking out on the team. You’ll be shocked to learn that not only does he regret his actions, he wants to remain with the Cubs.

“I did want to retire, I feel bad with myself, not with the Cubs, not with the organization. I feel bad with me, with the performance, with what I am doing or I was doing in the season it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating every time I go to the mound and I give up eight runs. It’s not me, and I want to do my best.”

“I want to keep pitching for the Cubs. It was a moment of frustration Friday night, and I pitched so bad I wanted to retire, you know, I don’t want to be making $18 million and pitch like crap.”

Just a bad day at the office. It happens to all of us, right? Spoken like a man with an agent.

UPDATE: Here’s the full video of the interview courtesy of CSNChicago.com:

According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Zambrano’s grievance against the Cubs is expected to be heard soon. While he is currently on the disqualified list for 30 days without pay (which could cost him approximately $3 million), Zambrano is expected to argue for a much shorter penalty.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:54 PM

This guy has a few screws loose…it’s undeniable. The Cubs, however, are even crazier for continuing to employ such a clown.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM

The Cubs are between a rock and a hard place. His contract (like all MLB contracts) is guaranteed. So if you are on the hook for 18+ million, at least get some value out of it by trotting him out there every 5th day. This is if he’s not “retired”.

The sad thing is, NO other team wants his contract; not even the Yankees.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Now why wouldn’t the Yankees want someone who would make AJ Burnett look completely normal?

• nesuperfan - Aug 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Yes, they are guaranteed, but only provided he lives up to the contract too. He may well have broken it, and that may allow them to use a legal loophole to jump through and out…IF they want to.

2. Rollie - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Any video of that hit he laid on Edmonds?

• D.J. Short - Aug 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Was hoping to find it, but I know that he was suspended five games for it. Happened back in 2004.

3. jammer4419 - Aug 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM

He does have a screw loose and I bet he has no clue of his repeat behavior. Roids and or booze come to mind . He cant stay in Chicago. One too many meltdowns will chase family away and they dont pay you.

4. mcchef - Aug 15, 2011 at 8:35 PM

“I don’t want to be making $18 million and pitch like crap.”

Well, you have pitched like crap quite a bit. So, exactly how much of that 18 million will you be returning?

5. willcoop - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Of course you want to stay with the Cubs Carlos. They are the only fools in MLB that will pay you 18 million to act an ass! Do yourself a favor as well as MLB, QUIT!

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:43 AM

Good luck with that, Carlos

7. denverdude7 - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:07 AM

The Cubs need to realize they don’t need a guy like this in the clubhouse. Will it be expensive to just get rid of him? Yes. but worth every cent. This is a classic case of addition by subtraction.

8. memphisyinzer - Aug 16, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Sounds like he has many reasons to be sorry…. about 18 million reasons. Reality set in and he realized he was going to lose all those bucks….

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet