Aug 15, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Big Z’s annual apology tour is off and running.
Carlos Zambrano just spoke with David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, giving his first public comments since being ejected from Friday’s game against the Braves and walking out on the team. You’ll be shocked to learn that not only does he regret his actions, he wants to remain with the Cubs.
“I did want to retire, I feel bad with myself, not with the Cubs, not with the organization. I feel bad with me, with the performance, with what I am doing or I was doing in the season it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating every time I go to the mound and I give up eight runs. It’s not me, and I want to do my best.”
“I want to keep pitching for the Cubs. It was a moment of frustration Friday night, and I pitched so bad I wanted to retire, you know, I don’t want to be making $18 million and pitch like crap.”
Just a bad day at the office. It happens to all of us, right? Spoken like a man with an agent.
UPDATE: Here’s the full video of the interview courtesy of CSNChicago.com:
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Zambrano’s grievance against the Cubs is expected to be heard soon. While he is currently on the disqualified list for 30 days without pay (which could cost him approximately $3 million), Zambrano is expected to argue for a much shorter penalty.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (143)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)