Carlos Zambrano to file his grievance today

Aug 15, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

This is not terribly unexpected, but Jon Paul Morosi reports that the union expected to file a grievance on behalf of Carlos Zambrano by the end of the day today in response to the Cubs placing him on the restricted list.

We all have our opinion about Zambrano — and I bet that most of us think that he’s out of line and wouldn’t put up with his crap for ten minutes if we didn’t have to — but before you jump on the union here, understand that it is their job to be an advocate for the player, not a judge.  Just as a guy who mows down a street fair in a Buick while hepped up on goofballs is entitled to a defense, so too is a player when he runs afoul of his team, no matter what we think of him.

And, setting aside Zambrano’s history and his obvious flair for the dramatic, it’s not crazy to think that a month-long suspension — which amounts to a multi-million dollar fine in his case — is excessive punishment for what amounts to a two-hour temper tantrum at the outside.

My guess is that it’s all negotiated down to some sort of shorter suspension and, like has happened so many times in the past, Zambrano is back with the team soon, talking about how he’s readjusting his attitude and all of that.

1. bobulated - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM

“Just as a guy who mows down a street fair in a Buick while hepped up on goofballs ” Can’t we just let Steve Howe rest in peace?

2. willcoop - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:28 PM

If the Cubs allow this turd back in the locker room after what he pulled, then shame on them and they deserve everything that is happening to them. For the last five to six years this team has been held hostage by the likes of Zambrano, Zambrano again, Bradley and now Zambrano for the umpteenth time. I hate they let Ted Lilly go to keep a goofball like this. He has embarrassed himself, his team and MLB. How many kids would love to be in his shoes but can’t because they don’t have his talent. He knows that he can keep doing this because the Cubs are hamstrung with a dog shit contract that Hendry gave him, and nobody wants to pay for a head case like him even if it’s on the cheap. He is the great destroyer of locker rooms. I hope that he is not allowed back and the Cubs find a way to buy him out.

• bobulated - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:40 PM

His agent will never take a buy out as he knows no one else will ever pay Z like that again. Unfortunately the Cubs are stuck with him.

3. Clinton Manitoba - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Not much worst than an indian giver…

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM

It would make absolutely no sense for the organization to maintain any ties with Zambrano so my guess is he’ll be starting for them on Friday against the Cardinals

5. nudeman - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Let me see:
    1) I’m at work one day, get angry because things aren’t going well. I go into the break room, and destroy the water cooler. For the 5th time
    2) Another day, I don’t like a coworker so I start shouting obscenities across the office floor; then go and beat the shit out of him. He goes to hospital, then gets fired. I stay and nothing changes for me.
    3) Next, I get frustrated, stand up and scream out to anyone who will listed “I QUIT”; then I clean out my desk, take all my belongings and go home.

Then I file a grievance.

Thank you Donal Fehr and all the dumb owners who’ve caved in for decades to the MLB Players Union.

Oh … also thanks for last row in the 3rd deck tickets that cost $75 (telescope not included), 40 years of World Series games televised at night starting at 9:00 EST; and in general fucking up the best sport of all with the worst imagineable sports management.

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM

you forgot about #4, where you have a skill that less than 1/1000th of one percent possess.

• nudeman - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Correct. And makes a salary that 1/1000th of 1% in the world make.

He’ll be pitching for someone before 30 days are up. Hope it isn’t in Chicago

6. willcoop - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Even his agent is laughing at the Cubs and thinking, dumb shits!

7. willcoop - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Newsflash! Zambrano apologizes and says he wants to remain a Cub for life. Shit, I would say the same thing if I knew I had a fish like the Cubs on the hook. Who else in MLB would be stupid enough to lay him that kind of cheese. Da Cubs, who else.

8. willcoop - Aug 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Let’s start at the beginning here. Mark Cuban wanted to buy the Cubs and your Bud and mines, Selig said no to that. Instead he let’s an ass clown like Ricketts buy the club. Cuban would have cleaned out the cupboard and gotten rid of all the turfs floating around cashing a check. This owner is the absolute laughingstock of MLB. I still have a lot of friends in the game and they say the Cubs are by far the worst run franchise in the league, but if you want to get paid have a decent year and Hendry will fall all over his fat feet to sign you. What kind of crap is that. Selig gets a piece of the blame for bringing this slug in here. I would have taken Cuban anyday and we would be on our way to better fortunes. Plus, as much as I love the old girl called Wrigley Field, it’s time to tear the barn down and start anew. Look at the Yankees, Tigers and even the Pirates and Reds. Brand new parks generate brand new dollars. Nope, same shitty dressing rooms nowhere to hit under the stands. Time to bring in the new and out with this old stuff.

9. metalhead65 - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM

why can’t the cubs or any team terminate his contract under the conduct detrimental to the team clause? if doing what did that game and what he has done in the past does not fall into that category then what is the point of putting such clauses into contracts?

• nudeman - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Just a wild guess here: The Union?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5585)