Aug 15, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
According to Leslie Gudel of CSNPhilly.com, the Phillies sent Hamels for a precautionary MRI on his left shoulder today. The results aren’t yet available.
Hamels gave up three runs on six hits and four walks over five innings against the Nationals on Friday while showing diminished velocity. While he told reporters following the game that he didn’t feel any pain, Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said the left-hander experienced some stiffness in his shoulder.
The Phillies were rained out yesterday and have an off-day tonight, so they could push Hamels back in the rotation even if the MRI doesn’t reveal anything serious.
Hamels, 27, is 13-7 with a 2.62 ERA and 155/35 K/BB ratio over 25 starts this season. He ranks third in the National League with 172 innings pitched.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)