Aug 15, 2011, 9:14 AM EST
Crazy thing: he broke it on an Angel Pagan line drive in the third inning. But he stayed in the game, finished the inning and then pitched to two batters — giving up a homer to Lucas Duda and retiring Jason Bay — before falling down to the ground while throwing a pitch to Josh Thole in the fourth. The pitch hit Thole, and Marquis was pulled. Did the adrenaline wear off, or did Marquis exacerbate the injury by staying in? I suppose those things aren’t mutually-exclusive.
Losing Marquis is tough. No, not because he’s been great or anything — he certainly hasn’t — but because his potential replacements aren’t any better. Zach Duke, who finished yesterday’s game and got the win, is the most likely candidate, and he’s sporting a 5.05 ERA in swingman duties this year. Micah Owings is another, but he’s not a guy you want starting games in a pennant race.
I assume that Kevin Towers does not believe that nine innings of Single-A experience is enough for this year’s first round draft pick Trevor Bauer, but that would be pretty fun to watch. If you doubt that, check out this really well-timed article in SI about Bauer. After reading it you’ll want to see him ASAP yourself.
Anyway, bye-bye Marquis.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (293)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)