Aug 15, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Crazy thing: he broke it on an Angel Pagan line drive in the third inning. But he stayed in the game, finished the inning and then pitched to two batters — giving up a homer to Lucas Duda and retiring Jason Bay — before falling down to the ground while throwing a pitch to Josh Thole in the fourth. The pitch hit Thole, and Marquis was pulled. Did the adrenaline wear off, or did Marquis exacerbate the injury by staying in? I suppose those things aren’t mutually-exclusive.
Losing Marquis is tough. No, not because he’s been great or anything — he certainly hasn’t — but because his potential replacements aren’t any better. Zach Duke, who finished yesterday’s game and got the win, is the most likely candidate, and he’s sporting a 5.05 ERA in swingman duties this year. Micah Owings is another, but he’s not a guy you want starting games in a pennant race.
I assume that Kevin Towers does not believe that nine innings of Single-A experience is enough for this year’s first round draft pick Trevor Bauer, but that would be pretty fun to watch. If you doubt that, check out this really well-timed article in SI about Bauer. After reading it you’ll want to see him ASAP yourself.
Anyway, bye-bye Marquis.
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 0
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 28
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)