Aug 15, 2011, 9:14 AM EST
Crazy thing: he broke it on an Angel Pagan line drive in the third inning. But he stayed in the game, finished the inning and then pitched to two batters — giving up a homer to Lucas Duda and retiring Jason Bay — before falling down to the ground while throwing a pitch to Josh Thole in the fourth. The pitch hit Thole, and Marquis was pulled. Did the adrenaline wear off, or did Marquis exacerbate the injury by staying in? I suppose those things aren’t mutually-exclusive.
Losing Marquis is tough. No, not because he’s been great or anything — he certainly hasn’t — but because his potential replacements aren’t any better. Zach Duke, who finished yesterday’s game and got the win, is the most likely candidate, and he’s sporting a 5.05 ERA in swingman duties this year. Micah Owings is another, but he’s not a guy you want starting games in a pennant race.
I assume that Kevin Towers does not believe that nine innings of Single-A experience is enough for this year’s first round draft pick Trevor Bauer, but that would be pretty fun to watch. If you doubt that, check out this really well-timed article in SI about Bauer. After reading it you’ll want to see him ASAP yourself.
Anyway, bye-bye Marquis.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)