Aug 15, 2011, 8:00 PM EST
A hat-tip to Baseball America for pointing out the Pensacola News Journal story on Drew Cumberland, a Padres prospect whose career is now over because of an inner-ear condition known as bilateral vestibulopathy.
Cumberland was a supplemental first-round pick in 2007. He hit .350/.385/.505 with seven homers and 21 steals between high-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A San Antonio last year, and BA named him San Diego’s No. 9 prospect entering this season.
Cumberland, though, went down this spring with vertigo-like symptoms and hadn’t played since. Suffering from the effects of repeated concussions, he experienced constant headaches and dizzy spells.
“There were times when I thought I was losing my mind,” Cumberland said. “The headaches were coming from so deep in my brain, it was hard to explain to someone. I would talk to (the Padres’) psychiatrist because, honestly, I thought I was going crazy.”
After his diagnosis, Cumberland tried resuming workouts in late June, only to have to shut it down after a few days because he symptoms returned. As a result, he’s now pursuing a coaching a career at the tender age of 22.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)