Quote of the Day: Adam Jones on unsigned draftees

Aug 15, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT

Kansas City Royals v Baltimore Orioles Getty Images

Today, if you did not know it, is signing day for those fellows taken in this summer’s amateur draft. If they don’t sign, back into the hopper or to college or to wherever they go.

Most sign, though. At least the top-of-the-draft guys we non-draft experts tend to hear about and care about.  And as Buster Olney pointed out in his column this morning, most of them have had their deals in place for weeks but just haven’t had them announced yet because the teams don’t want to catch any guff from Selig’s office over how big the bonuses were.  It’s a pretty automatic process in recent years.

But that’s not good enough for Orioles’ outfielder Adam Jones, who tweeted the following words of wisdom for new draftees a few minutes ago:

These draft picks need to sign and get they asses to the SHOW and make some real money. Geez. It’s annoying already.

I was hoping that Jones had held out, missed signing and all of that back when he was drafted, but I note that he signed on July 18th, 2003, a month and a half or so after being selected.  So really guys, you should listen to him and get your asses to the SHOW, OK? He knows of what he speaks!

1. Kevin S. - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM

They’d like to get their asses signed. Blame Selig, not the draftees.

• The Baseball Idiot - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM

They all have contract offers on the table. The only thing preventing them from signing is greed.

$1,000,000 to play a game beats the hell out of minimum wage flipping burgers.

All they are doing is losing valuable playing time.

• Ari Collins - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Most of them have contracts agreed to. It’s the clubs that don’t want to announce them until minutes before the deadline, because players can use each other’s contracts for leverage, and clubs try their darndest to suppress bonuses.

But yes. It’s all about those greedy greedy ballplayers.

• citifieldurinal - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Considering that the draft signing bonus will probably be the most money and the biggest check that 65% (I forget the exact number so give me about 5% margin of error) of those draftees will ever see in their life, I honestly don’t blame them for holding out until the deadline for more money since for some of the draftees this will be the only time in their career that they actually have leverage.

• JBerardi - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM

They’re not holding out for more money. They’ve agreed to deal but they can’t formally announce them because Bud Selig suffers from an acute case of having his head up his ass.

• jwbiii - Aug 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Ari Collins and JBerardi are both right. Bud Selig doesn’t have his head up his ass on this particular issue. He is serving his masters, the owners, by not approving high round above-slot contracts/bonuses until the final hour because that is what the owners want.

• yaozer17 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM

baseball idiot, change ur name to just idiot….

• FC - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I’m not sure they like the idea of someone taking a pen to their posteriors, I’m sure they’d like contract papers they can sign with the pens.

• jimbo1949 - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

That would be a tattoo, as in “Property of…”

2. tuftsb - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I’d rather hear Logan Morrison’s opinion than Adam Jones’ opinion.

• kingbuccaneer - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

PLEASE, anything but that loud mouth idiot, that has done NOTHING to continue to have diarrhia of the mouth..

3. mordecofe - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I always wonder, is signing for more money worth missing on two/three months of pro ball? I get that for a lot of these guys, this may be the biggest paycheck, but if you’re confident in your abilities, those first few months could get you to the Show a lot faster, no?

• Ari Collins - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

As you said, most of these guys, this is their only big paycheck. Losing a couple of months of playing time is worth a couple hundred thousand dollars.

And even if you’re confident in not only your abilities but the chances your abilities will progress against increasingly better competition, there are always injuries to consider.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:31 PM

The first round pick of the Jays…don’t remember his name…was going to go to Vanderbilt instead of signing for $4 million. That is just crazy if it is still the case. You can spend the next 3 years playing minor league ball and if it doesn’t pan out, go get your education with $4 million collecting interest. If he sucks in college, he doesn’t get jack.

I’m all for education, except in that particular instance and times very similar. $4 million is a lot of scratch.

• bravesman1983 - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Actually, I don’t think the $4 million would even have to go toward school. I think a lot of signed draftees get eight semesters of college, on top of the signing bonus, included in their first pro contracts. That was the case with the precious few high school draftees I covered during my small-town newspaper days, anyway.

• citifieldurinal - Aug 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM

And when one considers that most deals have an education sort of ‘stipend’ set aside for the school of the draftee’s choice, it does seem baffling and it is a very high-risk, high-reward situation. The kid could end up being the next Gerrit Cole or the next Matt Purke in terms of rejecting a first-round deal. Personally, I’d rather go pro because college coaches are there to win first and develop talent second; some of the pitch counts these kids put up in big games are appalling like Cal State Fullerton’s Jason Windsor in the 2004 CWS. Although to be fair, Cole and Tyler Beede (the Jays kid) really wanted to go to college especially in Cole’s case when the Yanks were on the cusp of giving him a pretty good deal.

Whatever makes them happy, I guess. It’s their lives.

• bleedgreen - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:39 PM

On a similar note, my high school physics teacher played men’s basketball at Franklin and Marshall. And he was really good. He was drafted and offered a contract for something like, 3 year deal for a million bucks or something like that. He decided that he would rather go teach high school physics. We gave him shit for it EVERY DAY. Why would you not go make your million dollars, and THEN go teach high school physics? In 1994 you sure as couldn’t make $300K a year to teach physics.

Similarly, I had an middle school teacher that played up to AAA ball with the Astros affiliate until 1981. He said he made a decent bit of money, but had lots of fun doing it. He even got 3 major league at bats. Now he’s happy and a middle school geography teacher. He was featured on an Astros Prospects card with Bruce Bochy even in 1979.

• JBerardi - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM

So, you don’t remember the guy’s name but you feel entirely confident in making the single biggest decision of his life for him. Classic sports fan thinking.

That kid’s name is Tyler Beede. This is where he went to school: http://www.lacademy.edu/page.cfm?p=365

From what I understand, money isn’t really a concern with his family. Education is.

• Kevin S. - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Same as Gerritt Cole.

Why no, this Yankee fan isn’t bitter about that. Why do you ask?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM

LOL I could have looked it up, JB, but I was too busy kicking Sean’s butt in debating the Ryan Howard story.

No reason to go all high and mighty on me OK? If he comes from cash, and doesn’t need the money, then why bother to negotiate at all then? I am sure if the Jays offered $5 million, then your high and mighty statement may not have as much weight then, would it? And why does accepting the money now affect him getting an education in a few years?

• JBerardi - Aug 15, 2011 at 3:11 PM

“And why does accepting the money now affect him getting an education in a few years?”

Because maybe he plays in the major leagues for 20 years. Or plays in the minors for ten. It’s not so easy to just get back into academics after that much time away. Meanwhile, Vanderbuilt has an excellent reputation of developing pro ballplayers.

Look, my point isn’t that he should or shouldn’t sign with the Jays for X amount of dollars. My point is that I don’t know. I don’t know what his family situation is. I don’t know what his academic abilities or interests are. I don’t know if he suffers from depression, anxiety, or whatever else. He’s an 18 year old kid making possibly the biggest decision of his life, and it comes down to a lot more than dollars and cents. To sit here on a message board and go “oh, well he’s a dumbass for not doing this”… that’s just arrogant and makes me think you really haven’t considered the situation from anything but the mile-high viewpoint of a fan.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I don’t believe I ever used the word dumbass. Nor am I a fan of the Jays. I’m a person and making $4 million fresh out of high school makes sense unless his family has plenty of cash. Since he didn’t sign they obviously must have the cash. Good for him. Why the jays would make a major blunder like this I guess we will never know.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto