Aug 15, 2011, 1:02 PM EDT
Today, if you did not know it, is signing day for those fellows taken in this summer’s amateur draft. If they don’t sign, back into the hopper or to college or to wherever they go.
Most sign, though. At least the top-of-the-draft guys we non-draft experts tend to hear about and care about. And as Buster Olney pointed out in his column this morning, most of them have had their deals in place for weeks but just haven’t had them announced yet because the teams don’t want to catch any guff from Selig’s office over how big the bonuses were. It’s a pretty automatic process in recent years.
These draft picks need to sign and get they asses to the SHOW and make some real money. Geez. It’s annoying already.
I was hoping that Jones had held out, missed signing and all of that back when he was drafted, but I note that he signed on July 18th, 2003, a month and a half or so after being selected. So really guys, you should listen to him and get your asses to the SHOW, OK? He knows of what he speaks!
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 4
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)