Aug 15, 2011, 1:02 PM EST
Today, if you did not know it, is signing day for those fellows taken in this summer’s amateur draft. If they don’t sign, back into the hopper or to college or to wherever they go.
Most sign, though. At least the top-of-the-draft guys we non-draft experts tend to hear about and care about. And as Buster Olney pointed out in his column this morning, most of them have had their deals in place for weeks but just haven’t had them announced yet because the teams don’t want to catch any guff from Selig’s office over how big the bonuses were. It’s a pretty automatic process in recent years.
These draft picks need to sign and get they asses to the SHOW and make some real money. Geez. It’s annoying already.
I was hoping that Jones had held out, missed signing and all of that back when he was drafted, but I note that he signed on July 18th, 2003, a month and a half or so after being selected. So really guys, you should listen to him and get your asses to the SHOW, OK? He knows of what he speaks!
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)