Aug 15, 2011, 5:55 PM EST
The Rangers will honor firefighter Shannon Stone with a statue set to be unveiled next year.
The statue, which is tentatively set to be named Rangers Fans, will feature Stone along with his 6-year-old son, Cooper. The two were at the game together when Shannon Stone tumbled over a Rangers Ballpark railing catching a thrown ball from Josh Hamilton and fell to his death.
“We feel that this statue will be a most fitting tribute,” Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said in a press release. “It will not only serve to honor Mr. Stone’s memory but also to recognize Rangers fans and baseball fans everywhere.
“I have discussed the project with Jenny Stone, and she and the Stone family will be involved in the design and creation of the statue.”
Jenny Stone issued the following statement:
We continue to be appreciative of Nolan Ryan and the Texas Rangers as we deal with the loss of Shannon. Shannon and Cooper had a special relationship, and we are touched and grateful that it will be memorialized at one of their favorite places. Our hope is that this statue will not be a symbol of our family tragedy but rather a reminder of the importance of a family’s love – love of each other, love of spending time together, and love of the game.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (237)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)