Aug 15, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
The Rangers will honor firefighter Shannon Stone with a statue set to be unveiled next year.
The statue, which is tentatively set to be named Rangers Fans, will feature Stone along with his 6-year-old son, Cooper. The two were at the game together when Shannon Stone tumbled over a Rangers Ballpark railing catching a thrown ball from Josh Hamilton and fell to his death.
“We feel that this statue will be a most fitting tribute,” Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said in a press release. “It will not only serve to honor Mr. Stone’s memory but also to recognize Rangers fans and baseball fans everywhere.
“I have discussed the project with Jenny Stone, and she and the Stone family will be involved in the design and creation of the statue.”
Jenny Stone issued the following statement:
We continue to be appreciative of Nolan Ryan and the Texas Rangers as we deal with the loss of Shannon. Shannon and Cooper had a special relationship, and we are touched and grateful that it will be memorialized at one of their favorite places. Our hope is that this statue will not be a symbol of our family tragedy but rather a reminder of the importance of a family’s love – love of each other, love of spending time together, and love of the game.
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)