Rangers planning Shannon Stone statue

Aug 15, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT

Rangers Ballpark Getty Images

The Rangers will honor firefighter Shannon Stone with a statue set to be unveiled next year.

The statue, which is tentatively set to be named Rangers Fans, will feature Stone along with his 6-year-old son, Cooper.  The two were at the game together when Shannon Stone tumbled over a Rangers Ballpark railing catching a thrown ball from Josh Hamilton and fell to his death.

“We feel that this statue will be a most fitting tribute,” Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan said in a press release. “It will not only serve to honor Mr. Stone’s memory but also to recognize Rangers fans and baseball fans everywhere.

“I have discussed the project with Jenny Stone, and she and the Stone family will be involved in the design and creation of the statue.”

Jenny Stone issued the following statement:

We continue to be appreciative of Nolan Ryan and the Texas Rangers as we deal with the loss of Shannon. Shannon and Cooper had a special relationship, and we are touched and grateful that it will be memorialized at one of their favorite places. Our hope is that this statue will not be a symbol of our family tragedy but rather a reminder of the importance of a family’s love – love of each other, love of spending time together, and love of the game.

1. jimbo1949 - Aug 15, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Proofread the headline

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Not to be insensitive, because I still grieve for this man, his little boy and family, but isn’t a statue a bit too much? It was a horrible accident, but, seriously, is this worthy of building a statue of him? Teams build statues of great, Hall of Fame players, but someone who dies tragically also deserves a statue? PC crap gone wild. And don’t tell me I am insensitive because I was one of the first people on this board that offered my condolences. This is too much. Instead of this, Rangers, pay the kid’s college tuition and leave that as a great gesture.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:13 PM

A statue is too much for a billion dollar organization to offer as a condolence to this family? Just because you were one of the first to offer sympathies doesn’t make calling this “PC crap gone wild” any less insensitive. It’s a nice gesture by the team and I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t think so. As for saying a statue should only be for Hall of Fame Players, consider the fact there was a statue of Rocky outside the Spectrum and it’s still somewhere in Philly. Rocky isn’t even a real person so shouldn’t you morally oppose that statue as well?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Then build statues for the many fans that have attended games throughout the years that have died of heart attacks, etc. Putting a statue of this man up is a mockery of his life. He lost it tragically there. Immortalizing his death there serves no one.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Then on top of it you bring up the Rocky statue? It was a movie prop. Get real. This is not the context that you are reaching for with a movie prop. You have none.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM

It sounds like it’s supposed to be a tribute to Rangers fans in general but the man and his son in particular (hence the name “Rangers Fans”). The fact that these comments are you trying to not be insensitive is pretty sad. Trying to honour him is making a mockery of his life? Really? That’s ridiculous

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:27 PM

You don’t get what I’m saying and probably never will. Typical. You are the type of people that thinks the way that you do and…..I won’t say anymore. I want to be a nice person on this board. Let’s put it this way. You and I will never agree.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:31 PM

That’s a safe assumption. As a person who recently lost a family member myself I can tell you calling an effort to remember someone a mockery of their life is just plain offensive

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:35 PM

I’ve lost (2) people very, very close to me in the last 3 years. Spare me. I would not want a statue built after them.

If you feel this stongly, go out and build a statue.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM

The fact that this is not your family member and the statue seems to have the family’s blessing means you should probably keep this opinion to yourself because you come off as extremely disrespectful here

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:50 PM

The point is simpleton that it’s not your family member either, so stop trying to make it a personal issue. I commented that the statue was over-excessive and you started shooting you mouth off. I am respectful. I’m just not clueless like you. Build a statue for a man that tragically died at the stadium? You are a moron.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Man, you really do give Phillies fans a bad rep. I think once the family comes to terms with their loss and goes to visit the ballpark again they will appreciate this nice gesture by the organization. I know I would

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I give Phillies a bad rap? Are you kidding me? What’s the matter? Had to give me a problem today? Are you board enough to argue with me with something as silly as a statue?

Sir, this is the last comment from me. I’ve wasted too much time with you as is. I’ve never seen you on this board before and hope to never see you again.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM

You really need to chill with the personal attacks. I was taking issue with you calling a tribute to a man’s life both “PC crap gone wild” and “a mockery of his life”, I just find that so unbelievably disrespectful

• schrutebeetfarms - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:31 PM

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I agree with biceps.
        This gesture, while generous, just doesn’t make sense.
        Start a firefighter’s scholarship in his name, put up a plaque at his firehouse, those things make sense, but a statue?

• SmackSaw - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM

“Our hope is that this statue will not be a symbol of our family tragedy but rather a reminder of the importance of a family’s love – love of each other, love of spending time together, and love of the game.”

I think this statement spells it out very clearly.

• purnellmeagrejr - Aug 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM

the statue is a reminder to be careful at the ball park – and in this world … our lives all hang by a thread.

• deathmonkey41 - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM

How about a “Danger- do not lean on railings” sign instead?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I would love to see you share your opinion on this matter with his family: “Jenny, Cooper, you are both morons for trying to honour your father this way. Don’t you know statues are only for players? Get real”

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Obviously this was meant for that halladay guy up there

• redeemingphiladelphia - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I think ‘biceps was probably just trying to point to the mildly cynical sheen of what is – at least partially – a somewhat clumsy PR move. I certainly crinkled my nose a bit when initially reading this post. But over time, the memory of the Cooper family’s tragedy will fade for most fans, and the statue will eventually embody that everyman quality of the average fan. In the short term, however, the statue’s presence will remain emotionally loaded. At the end of the day, I hope most people consider it one of those moments where a baseball team tries to connect on a deeper level with its fans outside of the diamond, similar to when the Phillies held a public memorial service for Harry Kalas. Good on them.

• redeemingphiladelphia - Aug 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Meant Stone family. erg.

• 24missed - Aug 15, 2011 at 11:09 PM

You are not being insensitive at all. The Rangers could do so much more for this family. Nolan Ryan’s idea? I sincerely hope he has a lot of other ideas that will help this family get through their lifetime of grief.

3. rhandome - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM

There may be some fallout from fans who want to forget the incident, but I hope the Rangers don’t drop the ball. If they get a jump on it, the team can erect a nice statue. If not, this project will crash and burn, hard.But I don’t want to leap to any conclusions…

4. pjmitch - Aug 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Forget the statue, put the money in a trust fund for the family/kids. Their loss is tragic but the Rangers taking care of the family will go a lot further than a statue will. I love Nolan Ryan but this is a bad idea.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I understand some people will disagree with this but the fact that the family is all for this idea means it’s probably not right for anyone to openly criticize it. The team and his family think this is an appropriate way to honour Shannon Stone and everybody should respect that

• Utley's Hair - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Just because the family is okay with it doesn’t mean it’s an appropriate thing to do. If this statue is meant as a tribute to Rangers fans, then so be it and go for it. If it is meant as a tribute to a single family of Rangers fans, then it seems over the top.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I personally disagree, but like I said I know there are lots of people who will hold your view on this. My point here is I don’t think it’s right to criticize it openly since this is the way in which the family wants to honour their loved one. If you don’t like the idea that’s fine, thanks for at least being respectful about it

6. tuftsb - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:05 PM

PJ is on point – take the money and help the family.

I picture a conversation outside the park In 30 years…

“Who is that, Dad?”
    “It’s Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan”

“Who is that, Dad?”
    “That’s the great Josh Hamilton. He helped lead the Rangers into a few World Series.”

“Who is that, Dad?”
    “A guy that died in front of his kid leaning over a railing begging for a free baseball”.

7. jeffbbf - Aug 15, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I dunno – I’m torn on this one, but I’m hoping what the statue will be is a generic scene of a boy and his dad enjoying a game together – maybe the boy looking up at his dad and smiling or something…of course the boy and his dad will have the likeness of Mr. Stone and his son, so it will serve 2 purposes.

8. iamthedoublestandard - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM

1943mrmojorisin1971,

I know I’m a little late on this but Halladay was dead on. This is retarded. A very stupid PR idea and move. You kept stating that it’s not ok to openly criticize the families wishes for a memorial. You are wrong for two reasons.

First is…. who the hell do you think you are telling anybody what they should think or do? As much as you may not like Halladay’s opinion (right or wrong), he has a right to it. We’ve got to stop the this PC crap. Halladay was trying to be nice about it and tip-toe but I won’t even go that far. It’s a tragedy that now is going to be turned into a mockery. There’s no way that people are going to forget what that statue will ACTUALLY symbolize.

Second reason is that you are under the notion that this is the ‘wife’s wishes’ for a memorial. You think she contacted the Rangers and asked for this statue? You are delusional. I’ll bet you everything I have that Nolan Ryan and the Rangers contacted her and explained what they wanted to do. If you’re her, how are u supposed to react to that? Say no? Not likely. You think she wrote her own statement? Also not likely. And even if she did (which I find highly unlikely), the fact that she had to mention that she doesn’t want the statue to symbolize the tragedy should tell you that there IS some ambiguity where there should be NONE. If she has to remind me of why I should think of something other than that man falling to his death, it is an EPIC FAIL.

Good night and good luck.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM

I think this is a case when if you don’t have anything positive to say then there’s no point saying anything. This in no way affects us, its not our family, team or ballpark. I don’t doubt that if she thought this was a bad idea or didn’t want this to happen she would have said so. I don’t really see why she would just agree with what the Rangers wanted to do in spite of her own feelings. If you think it’s a bad idea that’s fine but halladay’s first comment came across as pretty insensitive. If this has nothing to do with you why start complaining about it?

• iamthedoublestandard - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:25 AM

1943,

You should heed your own advice is exactly my point. You state that this a situation that may call for not saying anything at all because nothing good may come of it. I agree. That goes for you too. Your need to be PC is also a place where it doesn’t help admonishing someone else’s opinion. Those are the types of things you should walk away from. So he was insensitive. So what? It’s the way of the world. People would rather tip toe around each other instead of having a frank conversation. He may have been insensitive but IMHO he was not wrong. They should be paying for his college tuition. That was the first thing they should have done. I see that statue and I’m remembering the guy who leaned over for a $5 souvenir that cost him something priceless. There’s no getting around that. That will never be ambiguous to me.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:05 PM

This has nothing to do with me being “PC”, I can’t stand the how much political correctness there is in today’s society. I took issue with the way halladay had to put forth his opinion. If he wanted to say it’s a bad idea because it might open up old wounds I’m ok with that. If he wants to call it “PC crap gone wild” and “a mockery of the man’s life” and just come across as generally disrespectful in order to get his opinion across that’s something I take issue with. I’m also sure the Rangers are doing a lot for this family that they don’t feel the need to publicize

• iamthedoublestandard - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM

So they publicize the statue but not the other stuff their doing? That’s just even more odd.

9. deathmonkey41 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Seriously- my comments got removed because I said it was silly to build a statue for a man who leap over a railing to catch a $12 ball? Talk about PC.

10. deathmonkey41 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Okay, I changed my mind on the subject. In fact, I’m going to spearhead the movement to have statues built for all the parents that were trampled to death trying in vain to obtain Cabbage Patch Kids for their children in the 80’s. It’s about time we properly paid respect to the memories of those people.

11. targeese - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Yankees will look at signing the statue to a 5 year, $100 million contract to upgrade the defense on the left side of their infield

• iamthedoublestandard - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Nah. They’re doing just fine, but they thank you.

12. sixpackdad58 - Aug 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Personally, I’d like to see his son receive a college trust as previously mentioned. With regard to commisioning a statue of real significance, how about Nolan Ryan pummeling Robin Ventura with the inscription “Old Guys Rule”

• iamthedoublestandard - Aug 18, 2011 at 4:54 PM

That is funny. I remember that brawl clear as day.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3463)