Aug 15, 2011, 6:50 PM EDT
Manager Jim Leyland said Monday he plans to play new arrival Delmon Young in left, Austin Jackson in center and Brennan Boesch in right, leaving no room for Magglio Ordonez in the Tigers’ remade outfield.
“That’s as honest as I can be,” Leyland said. “That’s the way the situation is.”
Upon returning from the DL in mid-June, Ordonez, who is making $10 million this season, hit a respectable .286/.355/.381 in 126 at-bats through the end of July. However, he was slumping again of late, having hit .154 in 39 at-bats this month. For the year, he’s hit .223/.280/.295 in 264 at-bats, a huge collapse from last year’s. 303/.378/.474 line in 323 at-bats. He’s also probably an even weaker defender than Young as the result of age and injuries.
The Tigers do have Ordonez starting in right field tonight, but he’ll take a seat on Tuesday, Leyland said. Most of his at-bats the rest of the way could come as a DH on those days that Victor Martinez is catching.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 38
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)