Aug 15, 2011, 6:50 PM EST
Manager Jim Leyland said Monday he plans to play new arrival Delmon Young in left, Austin Jackson in center and Brennan Boesch in right, leaving no room for Magglio Ordonez in the Tigers’ remade outfield.
“That’s as honest as I can be,” Leyland said. “That’s the way the situation is.”
Upon returning from the DL in mid-June, Ordonez, who is making $10 million this season, hit a respectable .286/.355/.381 in 126 at-bats through the end of July. However, he was slumping again of late, having hit .154 in 39 at-bats this month. For the year, he’s hit .223/.280/.295 in 264 at-bats, a huge collapse from last year’s. 303/.378/.474 line in 323 at-bats. He’s also probably an even weaker defender than Young as the result of age and injuries.
The Tigers do have Ordonez starting in right field tonight, but he’ll take a seat on Tuesday, Leyland said. Most of his at-bats the rest of the way could come as a DH on those days that Victor Martinez is catching.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (130)