Aug 15, 2011, 6:50 PM EDT
Manager Jim Leyland said Monday he plans to play new arrival Delmon Young in left, Austin Jackson in center and Brennan Boesch in right, leaving no room for Magglio Ordonez in the Tigers’ remade outfield.
“That’s as honest as I can be,” Leyland said. “That’s the way the situation is.”
Upon returning from the DL in mid-June, Ordonez, who is making $10 million this season, hit a respectable .286/.355/.381 in 126 at-bats through the end of July. However, he was slumping again of late, having hit .154 in 39 at-bats this month. For the year, he’s hit .223/.280/.295 in 264 at-bats, a huge collapse from last year’s. 303/.378/.474 line in 323 at-bats. He’s also probably an even weaker defender than Young as the result of age and injuries.
The Tigers do have Ordonez starting in right field tonight, but he’ll take a seat on Tuesday, Leyland said. Most of his at-bats the rest of the way could come as a DH on those days that Victor Martinez is catching.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 0
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)