Aug 15, 2011, 6:50 PM EDT
Manager Jim Leyland said Monday he plans to play new arrival Delmon Young in left, Austin Jackson in center and Brennan Boesch in right, leaving no room for Magglio Ordonez in the Tigers’ remade outfield.
“That’s as honest as I can be,” Leyland said. “That’s the way the situation is.”
Upon returning from the DL in mid-June, Ordonez, who is making $10 million this season, hit a respectable .286/.355/.381 in 126 at-bats through the end of July. However, he was slumping again of late, having hit .154 in 39 at-bats this month. For the year, he’s hit .223/.280/.295 in 264 at-bats, a huge collapse from last year’s. 303/.378/.474 line in 323 at-bats. He’s also probably an even weaker defender than Young as the result of age and injuries.
The Tigers do have Ordonez starting in right field tonight, but he’ll take a seat on Tuesday, Leyland said. Most of his at-bats the rest of the way could come as a DH on those days that Victor Martinez is catching.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)