Aug 15, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Jorge Posada is 39 years old and having the worst season of his career, getting benched as the Yankees’ designated hitter last week, but the five-time All-Star indicated yesterday that he plans to play in 2012.
And that seemingly means putting on a different uniform for the first time in 20 years, because it’s tough to imagine the Yankees bringing him back once his four-year, $52 contract runs out.
Posada was full of praise for Yankees fans after returning to the lineup Saturday with a grand slam and six RBIs, saying: “I play for them” and “the fans are a big reason why I love playing the game and especially here.”
However, he also told Mark Hale of the New York Post that he “could” consider playing elsewhere next season because “I don’t know what’s going to happen after this year … we’ll see.”
Of course, finding another team willing to give him a job could be problematic unless he finishes this season on a very strong note and that will be tough to do if manager Joe Girardi sticks with plans to keep Posada mostly on the bench. Hale notes that Posada nearly left the Yankees for the Mets as a free agent in 2008, but the deterioration of his catching skills may limit him to AL suitors at this point and teams aren’t exactly lining up to sign 40-year-old, .700 OPS designated hitters.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)