Aug 16, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Toronto has placed Jon Rauch on the disabled list after the closer underwent an emergency appendectomy in Seattle this morning.
Mark Zwolinski of the Toronto Star speculates that the Blue Jays may give Jesse Litsch an opportunity to save games in Rauch’s absence, but turning back to former closer Frank Francisco seems more likely considering he’s thrown nine straight scoreless outings in a setup role.
Rauch has been shaky since taking ninth-inning duties away from Francisco in mid-July, blowing three saves in seven chances while allowing eight runs in 14 innings. Recovery timetables from appendectomies vary, but there’s a good chance he’ll be ready to return when eligible in 15 days.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)