Aug 16, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Toronto has placed Jon Rauch on the disabled list after the closer underwent an emergency appendectomy in Seattle this morning.
Mark Zwolinski of the Toronto Star speculates that the Blue Jays may give Jesse Litsch an opportunity to save games in Rauch’s absence, but turning back to former closer Frank Francisco seems more likely considering he’s thrown nine straight scoreless outings in a setup role.
Rauch has been shaky since taking ninth-inning duties away from Francisco in mid-July, blowing three saves in seven chances while allowing eight runs in 14 innings. Recovery timetables from appendectomies vary, but there’s a good chance he’ll be ready to return when eligible in 15 days.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)