Aug 16, 2011, 5:15 PM EDT
Toronto has placed Jon Rauch on the disabled list after the closer underwent an emergency appendectomy in Seattle this morning.
Mark Zwolinski of the Toronto Star speculates that the Blue Jays may give Jesse Litsch an opportunity to save games in Rauch’s absence, but turning back to former closer Frank Francisco seems more likely considering he’s thrown nine straight scoreless outings in a setup role.
Rauch has been shaky since taking ninth-inning duties away from Francisco in mid-July, blowing three saves in seven chances while allowing eight runs in 14 innings. Recovery timetables from appendectomies vary, but there’s a good chance he’ll be ready to return when eligible in 15 days.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 1
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 35
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 78
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 63
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)