Aug 16, 2011, 7:39 PM EDT
One of the game’s top pitching prospects is in some hot water.
According to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have suspended prospect right-hander Shelby Miller for a “violation of team policy.”
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak wouldn’t go into any specifics other than to say that the incident occurred in the past week. However, Hummel hears from multiple sources that there was some sort of an altercation at a Springfield apartment complex involving alcohol. Sources also tell him that this is the second such incident involving the 20-year-old Miller.
Mozeliak said that he doesn’t expect the suspension to be a long one and Miller will likely make another start before the minor league season comes to a close. Hopefully Miller will not make the same mistake again, but Tony La Russa is probably already dreaming up ways to eventually trade him for three left-handed specialists and a utility infielder.
Miller, a 2009 first-round pick, has a 2.93 ERA and 152/47 K/BB ratio in 122 2/3 innings over 22 starts between High-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s No. 7 prospect on their midseason list.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)