Aug 16, 2011, 7:39 PM EDT
One of the game’s top pitching prospects is in some hot water.
According to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have suspended prospect right-hander Shelby Miller for a “violation of team policy.”
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak wouldn’t go into any specifics other than to say that the incident occurred in the past week. However, Hummel hears from multiple sources that there was some sort of an altercation at a Springfield apartment complex involving alcohol. Sources also tell him that this is the second such incident involving the 20-year-old Miller.
Mozeliak said that he doesn’t expect the suspension to be a long one and Miller will likely make another start before the minor league season comes to a close. Hopefully Miller will not make the same mistake again, but Tony La Russa is probably already dreaming up ways to eventually trade him for three left-handed specialists and a utility infielder.
Miller, a 2009 first-round pick, has a 2.93 ERA and 152/47 K/BB ratio in 122 2/3 innings over 22 starts between High-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s No. 7 prospect on their midseason list.
- Michael Wacha to make first rehab start Sunday with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 20
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (90)