Aug 16, 2011, 7:39 PM EDT
One of the game’s top pitching prospects is in some hot water.
According to Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Cardinals have suspended prospect right-hander Shelby Miller for a “violation of team policy.”
Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak wouldn’t go into any specifics other than to say that the incident occurred in the past week. However, Hummel hears from multiple sources that there was some sort of an altercation at a Springfield apartment complex involving alcohol. Sources also tell him that this is the second such incident involving the 20-year-old Miller.
Mozeliak said that he doesn’t expect the suspension to be a long one and Miller will likely make another start before the minor league season comes to a close. Hopefully Miller will not make the same mistake again, but Tony La Russa is probably already dreaming up ways to eventually trade him for three left-handed specialists and a utility infielder.
Miller, a 2009 first-round pick, has a 2.93 ERA and 152/47 K/BB ratio in 122 2/3 innings over 22 starts between High-A Palm Beach and Double-A Springfield this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s No. 7 prospect on their midseason list.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)