Aug 16, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
It’s safe to say the defending world champs weren’t projecting this as a starting lineup a few months ago:
For the record, this is the Giants’ 122nd game of the season. The eight players in the Giants’ lineup tonight have started at those positions a grand total of 98 times this year.
Ross – 3
Fontenot – 8
Sandoval – 4
Huff – 1
Belt – 0
Cabrera – 16
Tejada – 37
Stewart – 29
Only Stewart and Tejada are playing at their most common positions. Tejada actually had started 37 games at both third base and shortstop, but he had played more innings at third.
What made the odd lineup even odder is that the Giants originally had Huff in right field and Belt in left before switching the two. Huff had played right in 13 of his 14 outfield starts this season, and all three of Belt’s previous outfield starts had come in left.
So, why are we seeing this? Not only did Carlos Beltran go on the disabled list Tuesday, but the Giants have also had to send Nate Schierholtz (foot) and Jeff Keppinger (wrist) for tests that will help determine how much time they’ll miss. Finally, Aaron Rowand is nursing a strained intercostal muscle.
At least the Giants have the right starter on the mound tonight: Jonathan Sanchez loves those walks and strikeouts, so there shouldn’t be a whole bunch of balls is play. He can go as long as he wants, too: with just two players on the bench in Mark DeRosa and Eli Whiteside, the Giants don’t figure to do any pinch-hitting.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)