Aug 16, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Jelisa Castrodale — who has the good sense to both (a) write for NBC; and (b) come from the same hometown as me — has a column up today about the Little League World Series. Specifically, about it being televised. And she wonders whether it’s too much:
I know that ESPN is increasing the production values — and their broadcast product — to get the biggest impact out of Williamsport’s Little stage. But, to me, it has the opposite effect. It makes the players seem more like characters and less like kids. It seems less spontaneous and more staged, less precious and more pressured, equal parts Baseball Tonight and Toddlers & Tiaras.
It’s not some lame “will someone please think of the children” rant, however. There’s a good joke in there about birth control pills. Definitely worth your time.
Personally, I find the coverage of the Little League World Series a bit distasteful. I don’t think it’s ruinous or anything — these kids get way more pressure from parents putting them into hyper-competitive situations than they do from whatever Harold Reynolds or whoever has taken his place in these broadcasts dishes out — but I could do without the closeups of kids crying and the creeping professionalization of the whole thing. It’s way too slick, and Jelisa’s reference to the kiddie beauty pageants isn’t too far off.
Eh, it’s not like I watch it anyway. I’m gonna watch “The Bad News Bears” a few times instead. The Walter Mathhau version.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)