Aug 16, 2011, 8:38 PM EDT
The Giants are crumbling before our eyes.
Already short handed on their bench tonight against the Braves, the Giants were forced to go to their bullpen early after left-hander Jonathan Sanchez was pulled in the bottom of the third inning with a left ankle sprain.
Sanchez suffered the injury while fielding a sacrifice bunt by opposing pitcher Randall Delgado. The southpaw gave up one run on one hit and one walk before being replaced by Guillermo Mota.
Barry Zito just sprained his ankle during a rehab start with Triple-A Fresno over the weekend, so the Giants will have to be creative if the injury to Sanchez requires an extended absence. Dan Runzler was just called up from the minor leagues today and has been used primarily as a starter with Triple-A Fresno this season. The more exciting option would be left-hander Eric Surkamp, who has a 2.03 ERA and 156/40 K/BB ratio over 128 1/3 innings at the Double-A level this season.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69