Aug 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
I wrote yesterday about Jorge Posada‘s plans to continue playing next season and how that almost surely would mean leaving the Yankees, speculating that he’ll have a very hard time finding a guaranteed job because the market for 40-year-old designated hitters with .388 slugging percentages isn’t going to be pretty.
It sounds like Posada had that same realization, because last night he told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he hasn’t given up on being a catcher even if the Yankees basically did everything possible to avoid putting him behind the plate for even spot duty this year:
I could catch next year. I could have this year. I could have been a backup this year, could have backed somebody up.
Technically he’s right, but only in the same sense that I could be, say, an underwear model. Wallace notes that he hasn’t caught a single inning all season, including spring training, and that’s because the Yankees were terrified of Posada behind the plate after watching his defensive skills deteriorate in recent years.
I’d be shocked if there’s another team out there willing to let him catch again, at age 40 and after a year off from playing the position, although in fairness the odds of that happening probably aren’t considerably lower than the odds of another team wanting him as a full-time DH.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 49
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement