Aug 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
I wrote yesterday about Jorge Posada‘s plans to continue playing next season and how that almost surely would mean leaving the Yankees, speculating that he’ll have a very hard time finding a guaranteed job because the market for 40-year-old designated hitters with .388 slugging percentages isn’t going to be pretty.
It sounds like Posada had that same realization, because last night he told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he hasn’t given up on being a catcher even if the Yankees basically did everything possible to avoid putting him behind the plate for even spot duty this year:
I could catch next year. I could have this year. I could have been a backup this year, could have backed somebody up.
Technically he’s right, but only in the same sense that I could be, say, an underwear model. Wallace notes that he hasn’t caught a single inning all season, including spring training, and that’s because the Yankees were terrified of Posada behind the plate after watching his defensive skills deteriorate in recent years.
I’d be shocked if there’s another team out there willing to let him catch again, at age 40 and after a year off from playing the position, although in fairness the odds of that happening probably aren’t considerably lower than the odds of another team wanting him as a full-time DH.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 31
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 99
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (99)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)