Jorge Posada on 2012 plans: “I could catch next year”

Aug 16, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

jorge posada yankees throwing Getty Images

I wrote yesterday about Jorge Posada‘s plans to continue playing next season and how that almost surely would mean leaving the Yankees, speculating that he’ll have a very hard time finding a guaranteed job because the market for 40-year-old designated hitters with .388 slugging percentages isn’t going to be pretty.

It sounds like Posada had that same realization, because last night he told Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that he hasn’t given up on being a catcher even if the Yankees basically did everything possible to avoid putting him behind the plate for even spot duty this year:

Technically he’s right, but only in the same sense that I could be, say, an underwear model. Wallace notes that he hasn’t caught a single inning all season, including spring training, and that’s because the Yankees were terrified of Posada behind the plate after watching his defensive skills deteriorate in recent years.

I’d be shocked if there’s another team out there willing to let him catch again, at age 40 and after a year off from playing the position, although in fairness the odds of that happening probably aren’t considerably lower than the odds of another team wanting him as a full-time DH.

1. frankvzappa - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Sounds like Posada is literally delusional. He should maybe see a psychiatrist for help separating fantasy from reality before the line becomes so blurred we lose him all together.

• 5thbase - Aug 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Posada can catch and Willie Mo Pena can play short. I would pay to watch that.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 16, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Like Woods, they get too filled with themselves and don’t want to let go. Jesus 100 million in the bank, a beautiful wife to go home too every night, two kids who want a full time dad and a zillion opportunities and he wants to spend 2/3 of the year on the road.
      Please GOD bless me, but not with this stupidity.

2. Utley's Hair - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:05 AM

“I could catch next year. I could have this year. I could have been a backup this year, could have backed somebody up.”

I’m an excellent driver…an excellent driver…10 minutes to Wapner…10 minutes to Wapner…

3. Kevin S. - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Yes, Jorge, I’m sure you’ll still be capable of catching baseballs next year.

Oh, you mean playing the position of catcher?

4. CJ - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM

It’s more likely ‘cepts runs for POTUS next year than it is for Posada to be catching anywhere above Indepndent league ball.

5. cur68 - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:16 AM

As a fan of anther team in the AL BEast, I want to offer my full and total support to Posada’s cause as a catcher for the mighty Yankees. You go Jorge. You go catch. I feel certain the entertainment value of Jorge and AJ getting into a pitching mound or dugout scrap will be worth the pain of watching him call FB after FB and throw out runners by hitting the spot halfway between the mound and 2nd and ball finish up like a bunt single rolling along gently till it rests about 2 feet short of the base. I really look forward to that.

6. FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Jorge Posada on 2012 plans: “I could catch next year”

FC on 2012 plans: “I could win the Lottery next year”

Both have about equal chances of happening.

7. dailyrev - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Happens to all of us, I frequently find myself trying to do things I could do when I was 25 or 30. And this guy had a 6-RBI game last week, so he can be forgiven for thinking he’s young again. There are few things more painful in this Red-Bull-drunk, 40-is-the-new-80 culture of ours than aging. But only if you accept the fears and delusions that feed it. You just have to say an inner No to the neurotic images that the culture feeds us; then you will see an open door ahead of you anywhere and anytime, and know that it’s not the door of a nursing home. Kill fear, people: slice its throat and watch it bleed into the light of the earth. Show it no mercy. And then move on.

8. djeter220 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Coming from a devoted Yankee fan who would like to cling onto the core group of the dynasty days as long as possible, this is sad to see. I’m sure his confidence and competitiveness is what’s made Posada as great as he’s been, but at this point in his career it’s tough to watch.

9. Charles Gates - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Theories:
    * Jorge really, really likes sushi and will catch in Japan.
    * Jorge’s quote was cut, it should be ‘I could catch up on reading next year.’
    * ‘Catch’ is a Spanish slang word for relax.
    * The internal Yankees job posting board has an opening for bullpen catcher/coach.
    * Jorge has the new Benz with the Infinite Improbability Drive option. Smooth. Comes with free, clean towels.

10. pisano - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Jorge, if you paid a team to take you on as a catcher you’d be turned down. Adios senior.

• pisano - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Check that Senor,been a long time since school days.

• cur68 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM

No, no. “Senior” works.

11. deathmonkey41 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I’m sure teams will be falling all over eachother to acquire the slowest catcher in the universe, who pretty much hits singles, can’t handle pitchers, and couldn’t throw a 90 yr old woman out.

12. lukeslice - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM

“Wallace notes that he hasn’t caught a single inning all season because the Yankees were terrified of Posada behind the plate after watching his defensive skills deteriorate in recent years.”

Posada was never a great defensive catcher and though his defense WAS deteriorating – esp. his shoulder since surgery a couple seasons ago – the Yanks haven’t hidden the fact that he’s not catching due to concerns over repeated concussions, esp. over August/September of last season, not because “they were terrified of his defense.” If they were so terrified by mediocre defense, they wouldn’t have Cervelli as a backup (who has thrown out only 8% of basestealers this season).

13. seanmk - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM

it’s been shown that playing DH or coming off the bench take a % off your stats. maybe he’s not completely done. there are plenty of back up jobs available and if he hits just a little bit better i’m sure there is a market for a switch hitting backup catcher. if he hits .240/.350/.410 as a back up in the NL, that’d be pretty worthwhile.

• Charles Gates - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

If he wants to take a diminished role for $600K, maybe. But if he’s asking for a 2 comma salary, we’ll, then he’s out to lunch.

• Charles Gates - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM

well, not we’ll

• Kevin S. - Aug 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM

It’s also been shown that squatting with superfluous extra weight takes a percentage off the performance of men in their fifth decade of life.

14. mgp1219 - Aug 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM

I think Jorge meant he could be a bullpen catcher.

15. raijinnokumo - Aug 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Did he have an arm transplant?

16. Walk - Aug 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM

The team i play on is in need of a catcher. Of course you have to work on the same floor i do to be eligible to play in our softball league and pay the fee but there are plenty of other leagues he can play in.

Final take away from World Series