Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Following tonight’s stunning loss to the Diamondbacks, the Phillies placed third baseman Placido Polanco on the 15-day disabled list with a sports hernia, reports Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6, so he will be eligible to return next Monday against the Mets. He has ruled out the possibility of surgery, which would likely end his season.
Polanco, 35, is batting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs, 40 RBI and a .672 OPS over 383 plate appearances this season. He has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. While the Phillies can afford to rest him pretty liberally in August and September, he’ll be playing through pain the rest of the way.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)