Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Following tonight’s stunning loss to the Diamondbacks, the Phillies placed third baseman Placido Polanco on the 15-day disabled list with a sports hernia, reports Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6, so he will be eligible to return next Monday against the Mets. He has ruled out the possibility of surgery, which would likely end his season.
Polanco, 35, is batting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs, 40 RBI and a .672 OPS over 383 plate appearances this season. He has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. While the Phillies can afford to rest him pretty liberally in August and September, he’ll be playing through pain the rest of the way.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)