Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EST
Following tonight’s stunning loss to the Diamondbacks, the Phillies placed third baseman Placido Polanco on the 15-day disabled list with a sports hernia, reports Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6, so he will be eligible to return next Monday against the Mets. He has ruled out the possibility of surgery, which would likely end his season.
Polanco, 35, is batting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs, 40 RBI and a .672 OPS over 383 plate appearances this season. He has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. While the Phillies can afford to rest him pretty liberally in August and September, he’ll be playing through pain the rest of the way.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)