Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
Following tonight’s stunning loss to the Diamondbacks, the Phillies placed third baseman Placido Polanco on the 15-day disabled list with a sports hernia, reports Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6, so he will be eligible to return next Monday against the Mets. He has ruled out the possibility of surgery, which would likely end his season.
Polanco, 35, is batting .275/.330/.342 with four home runs, 40 RBI and a .672 OPS over 383 plate appearances this season. He has a .223 batting average and .544 OPS since the start of May. While the Phillies can afford to rest him pretty liberally in August and September, he’ll be playing through pain the rest of the way.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants