Phillies unveil statue in tribute to longtime broadcaster Harry Kalas

Aug 16, 2011, 9:38 PM EST

Steve Carlton, Jimmy Rollins

Prior to tonight’s game against the Diamondbacks, the Phillies unveiled a bronze statue in tribute to longtime broadcaster Harry Kalas, who passed away on April 13, 2009 at the age of 73.

The statue stands in section 141 on the main concourse at Citizens Bank Park just outside the entrance to Harry the K’s, the restaurant named in his honor.

Steve Carlton and Jimmy Rollins participated in the ceremony, which was also attended by Harry’s son, Kane Kalas.

“It’s perfect,” Kane Kalas told MLB.com. “It speaks perfection with the loafers and the sport jacket. He’s wearing the ring. The detail, the precision in it. When they unveiled it, I could not believe it.”

Kalas was the familiar baritone voice of the Phillies from 1971 until his death. He was inducted into the broadcaster’s wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 2002.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Last HK home run call…..Matt Stairs.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 16, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Huh…who would have thought Ross Gload would strike out in that situation? Also, how would have thought that bringing in your money lefty out of the pen in a key situation in the 9th inning would be a good idea?

• FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I know it’s Halladay but after the strikeout bunt I would have brought in Bastardo to face Overbay. And yeah Gload struck out EXACTLY the same way he did last time; low in the dirt. I think all NL closers are have the same cliff notes on this guy. Putz also had the benefit of the inside corner slightly more in than usual, it’s tough but a hitter has to adjust and battle through it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 16, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I was yelling…well, not quite yelling but talking loudly for Bastardo in that spot. Even if they counter for a righty…Bastardo is still money. Bad, bad decision. Then Ross Gload?? Seriously, please get this bum out of there. I’ve had enough. It is always the same thing. He has to cheat fastball so much that anything off speed he just blindly hacks at. I don’t give a shit if it is righty on righty, Mayberry Jr. was the only option there. Pinch run Francisco at 2nd. Terrible.

• FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Yeah Charlie gambled on his All-Star to get out of the jam and lost. It’s not an unreasonable decision; you do have an 8+ game lead in the NL East, but I would have been conservative; they had two off days in a row, the pen needs work. I think Halladay was laboring throughout that inning, he was barely throwing more strikes than balls. I think once Upton hacked his single that put Halladay off balance and screwed the rest of his inning.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM

As long as the Braves pull this one out, having the Giants fall 4 games out and dropping isn’t such a bad thing. As the Giants fall the chances the Phillies cruise to the World Series rise :)

• FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:04 PM

You’re assuming the Phillies will cruise past the D-Backs if that’s the post-season opponent. They just beat Halladay with a come-from behind win, that’s not easy to do, that’s the first time Halladay has blown a 9th Inning lead since coming to Philly. The D-Backs actually lead the league in come from behind wins. I seriously don’t care about the Giants, they’re falling into pieces. The Phillies would sweep them in an NLDS or NLCS with their current make up. I don’t care if they have Timmy and Matt, both would have to through no-hitters to give the Giants a chance to win at this point.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM

FC, AZ is playing in a pennant race while the Phillies are on Cruise Control. Relax about the diamondbacks already this is a team that won 69 games last year. They would be happy to be there while the Brew Crew and Braves beat each other up in the other NLDS. The Giants with Cain and TIMMAY are scarier than any other team in the NL…especially the D-Backs!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Braves win!! Braves win!! Braves win!!! Another nail in the coffin of Matt and TIMMAY!!! Plus, let’s not forget Cody %{*^}^}+ Ross!!!

• FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I disagree, the Giants are on life-support. Their veterans are washed up this year. They caught lightning in a bottle in 2010. At this time last year the Giants had scored 100+ runs than they allowed. This year despite a not dissimilar record the Giants have allowed more runs than they scored. Look at the “Beard”, he’s half twitchy all the time, blew a 2 run lead to Atlanta the other night to Kevin McCallister’s older brother Buzz. Cain and Timmy are pitching good but look at their records, they have had little run support, and the Phillies hit Timmy in the NLCS, 3 runs each game.

I think you underestimate the D-Backs, last year’s record is irrelevant, the 93 Phillies went from last to first and went to the WS after upsetting the Braves in 6 games. The D-Backs BP has been squeaky clean since the AS-break. I’m not saying they are invincible but to dismiss them out of hand is a mistake. We should take all our potential post-season opponents seriously, find weaknesses and correct deficiencies.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Phillies in 2007. Reds in 2010. AZ in 2011(prediction) All teams happy to be there. All swept. No worries. :)

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Not if they continue to send Ross Gload up in high leverage situations…or at all. :(

• FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:31 PM

LOL! Chris I know you’re not too fond of stats but sometimes you really go overboard. We’ll see. I want a series win at home against AZ. I want to see good performance from the Phillies. Though I guess going through a small valley now is ok as long as we go red hot in September and don’t let the foot off the gas pedal until November!

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:32 PM

I’m sorry, but I am going to beat this Ross Gload situation to death until something is done about it. This is a situation that will occur in the playoffs and this guy is an extreme liability.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM

FC and DR…do you really see any team beating the Phillies 3 of 5 or 4 of 7 games? If you check out the entire season, other than their 2 4-game losing streaks, the Phillies have lost 4 of 7 games exactly once. One time.

Doc, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt, Doc, Lee, Hamels

Who is winning 4 of 7 games against that front-line staff??? I’d say the Giants and maybe the Braves in the NL…and the Yankees and Red Sox in the AL have a shot. Otherwise, in the words of Smokey…

Cruise with me baby…
        Cruise with me baby…
        Cruisin’

• adcoop22 - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Chris: I don’t know if you have noticed but the D-Backs lead the series 3-1. The losses: Doc, Lee, Oswalt. Hamels is broken. Again, you look like a jackass.

3. FC - Aug 16, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Doc, at this point I’m willing to try D-Brown in the PH role for the post-season he can’t possibly do worse than Gload.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:35 AM

I honestly don’t understand how he is still on the active roster. Force him onto the DL, and make him get the hip (or whatever it is) fixed already. As a couple guys have pointed out, in the off chance he gets on base, he can’t run. Why not just use Valdez as the pinch hitter? It is also really frustrating when they trot Gload out there, and leave Mayberry sitting on the bench. I actually bought a Nerf gun, so that I can shoot my TV, for those situations (I may have some minor anger issues, but what sports fan doesn’t)

4. hittfamily - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM

A very nice tribute to a very good man. I’m no Phillie fan, but I know quality people when I see them. It is a shame the tribute came after his death, which is too often the case. When writing my eulogy to my mother, I realized I had never told many of the stories of her decency and love before. I wish I said those things a week earlier, when she could have heard them. A nice tribute by the Phils nonetheless.

5. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM

In December of 2007, I was at the Phillies Christmas something-something excuse to get people into their clubhouse store to buy crap. There was a line to get autographs from a bunch of people including Harry Kalas, but I’m not an autograph guy, and I’m definitely not a guy who will wait in line with a 3 month old with me. But I got my son’s picture with Phanta Claus (that’s the Phanatic in a santa outfit) and in the room where they were selling memorabilia, I was able to get a game ball from the day my son was born.

I thought that was the coolest thing ever. As I walked out of that room and into the concourse holding that ball like I just found a 20 carat diamond, I heard a familiar voice talking about how he needed to get to the airport to get somewhere. I turned around and it was Harry F@#$ing Kalas. Forty years of listening to that Voice, he was like the Voice of God to me. I must have looked like a ten year-old seeing his first boobs as I stared at him, frozen. Mouth probably wide open. He just looked at me and gave a smile and a hello.

Like I said, I’m not an autograph guy. But for my son, (okay, for me) I had to ask. He’s the Voice of Baseball to me. He kindly signed it and engaged in a few seconds of small talk and was gone.

I looked at my son and realized that he had absolutely no idea what just happened or who the man with the cool Voice was. But I’m pretty sure that even he knew that writing “HOF” under your signature is about the coolest thing anyone could ever do.

• hittfamily - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Did you offer him a ride to the airport? A great story could have been epic!!!

Nice story.

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:39 AM

You mean when I didn’t take him to the airport at all and took him home to do a voice over on all my home movies.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:25 AM

speaking of “perfect” it was “perfect” to see Roy lose the game in the 9th inning!! Now thats PERFECT!!

7. sasquash20 - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Oh Harry I miss your sweet voice. You and Whitey were the best.

8. tbmidd - Aug 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Wow, reading this makes me realize how much I dislike Wheels. How negative can one man be? If you had a drinking game, a shot each time he said something positive, you’d be stone cold sober by the end of the game. Flip it, one drink each negative comment……1/2 inning at most.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I believe you are confusing Wheels with Sarge. It seems like someone has pissed in Sarge’s corn flakes every day

9. macjacmccoy - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I didnt care about leaving Halladay in, what annoyed me was in the bottom of the ninth with a man on 1st with no outs and Charly puts on a bunt. I hate that. He has done it 3 other times this year when trailing in the 9th and the Phillies have lost everytime. You dont volunteer and out when a guy like JJ Putz is on the mound and then has his choice of who and how he wants to pitch to the Phillies. Its one the worst plays in baseball and I wish managers would just do away with it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3311)
  2. J. Kang (3136)
  3. C. McGehee (2851)
  4. J. Upton (2836)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. D. Ross (2658)