Aug 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
Sergio Romo has been extraordinary for the Giants this season, throwing 38 innings with a 1.67 ERA, .153 opponents’ batting average, and ridiculous 53/4 K/BB ratio, but he’s been bothered by elbow soreness recently and was placed on the disabled list today.
Dan Runzler, who struggled in 18 appearances for the Giants earlier this season, was called back up to replace Romo on the roster and in the bullpen. He pitched well in the majors last season, but the 26-year-old lefty has been working mostly as a starter at Triple-A with mediocre results.
The team is calling Romo’s injury merely inflammation, in which case he should be back in September.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)