Aug 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EDT
Sergio Romo has been extraordinary for the Giants this season, throwing 38 innings with a 1.67 ERA, .153 opponents’ batting average, and ridiculous 53/4 K/BB ratio, but he’s been bothered by elbow soreness recently and was placed on the disabled list today.
Dan Runzler, who struggled in 18 appearances for the Giants earlier this season, was called back up to replace Romo on the roster and in the bullpen. He pitched well in the majors last season, but the 26-year-old lefty has been working mostly as a starter at Triple-A with mediocre results.
The team is calling Romo’s injury merely inflammation, in which case he should be back in September.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)