Aug 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EST
Sergio Romo has been extraordinary for the Giants this season, throwing 38 innings with a 1.67 ERA, .153 opponents’ batting average, and ridiculous 53/4 K/BB ratio, but he’s been bothered by elbow soreness recently and was placed on the disabled list today.
Dan Runzler, who struggled in 18 appearances for the Giants earlier this season, was called back up to replace Romo on the roster and in the bullpen. He pitched well in the majors last season, but the 26-year-old lefty has been working mostly as a starter at Triple-A with mediocre results.
The team is calling Romo’s injury merely inflammation, in which case he should be back in September.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)