Aug 16, 2011, 2:51 PM EST
Sergio Romo has been extraordinary for the Giants this season, throwing 38 innings with a 1.67 ERA, .153 opponents’ batting average, and ridiculous 53/4 K/BB ratio, but he’s been bothered by elbow soreness recently and was placed on the disabled list today.
Dan Runzler, who struggled in 18 appearances for the Giants earlier this season, was called back up to replace Romo on the roster and in the bullpen. He pitched well in the majors last season, but the 26-year-old lefty has been working mostly as a starter at Triple-A with mediocre results.
The team is calling Romo’s injury merely inflammation, in which case he should be back in September.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)