Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
There are some of you who don’t read “And That Happened” in the morning. The stats tell me so. Which is fine. I mean, if you want to go through life with one hand tied behind your back, hey, your loss. Like smoking and riding a motorcycle without a helmet, it’s totally your right to do so until it is outlawed by people who know what’s best for you.
So if you are one of those people — and if you didn’t watch the Dodgers-Brewers game last night — you missed Milwaukee turning a half-sweet triple play.
I say half-sweet because the sweetest version is the lightning-fast around the horn thing in which the third baseman fields a hot shot, steps on the bag, fires it to second and then the second baseman fires it to first. The lame version is “the second baseman caught a line drive, the base runners had a brain lock and everyone stood around wondering what was going on while he tagged anyone he could find” kind of thing. I consider those akin to an inside the park homer when the center fielder is knocked unconscious and the ball just rolls around.
This one was OK, though. Some bad base running by Matt Kemp, but there was some athleticism and kinetic energy on display, and that’s all we can really ask, ya know?
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)