Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
There are some of you who don’t read “And That Happened” in the morning. The stats tell me so. Which is fine. I mean, if you want to go through life with one hand tied behind your back, hey, your loss. Like smoking and riding a motorcycle without a helmet, it’s totally your right to do so until it is outlawed by people who know what’s best for you.
So if you are one of those people — and if you didn’t watch the Dodgers-Brewers game last night — you missed Milwaukee turning a half-sweet triple play.
I say half-sweet because the sweetest version is the lightning-fast around the horn thing in which the third baseman fields a hot shot, steps on the bag, fires it to second and then the second baseman fires it to first. The lame version is “the second baseman caught a line drive, the base runners had a brain lock and everyone stood around wondering what was going on while he tagged anyone he could find” kind of thing. I consider those akin to an inside the park homer when the center fielder is knocked unconscious and the ball just rolls around.
This one was OK, though. Some bad base running by Matt Kemp, but there was some athleticism and kinetic energy on display, and that’s all we can really ask, ya know?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)