Aug 16, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
There are some of you who don’t read “And That Happened” in the morning. The stats tell me so. Which is fine. I mean, if you want to go through life with one hand tied behind your back, hey, your loss. Like smoking and riding a motorcycle without a helmet, it’s totally your right to do so until it is outlawed by people who know what’s best for you.
So if you are one of those people — and if you didn’t watch the Dodgers-Brewers game last night — you missed Milwaukee turning a half-sweet triple play.
I say half-sweet because the sweetest version is the lightning-fast around the horn thing in which the third baseman fields a hot shot, steps on the bag, fires it to second and then the second baseman fires it to first. The lame version is “the second baseman caught a line drive, the base runners had a brain lock and everyone stood around wondering what was going on while he tagged anyone he could find” kind of thing. I consider those akin to an inside the park homer when the center fielder is knocked unconscious and the ball just rolls around.
This one was OK, though. Some bad base running by Matt Kemp, but there was some athleticism and kinetic energy on display, and that’s all we can really ask, ya know?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 69
- The Lester trade is a win-win 107
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 161
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (161)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (122)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (107)