The Red Sox turned a pretty nifty triple play tonight

Aug 16, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox - Game Two Getty Images

In talking about the “half-sweet” triple play turned by the Brewers last night, Craig wrote the following this morning:

“I say half-sweet because the sweetest version is the lightning-fast around the horn thing in which the third baseman fields a hot shot, steps on the bag, fires it to second and then the second baseman fires it to first. “

And wouldn’t you know it, that’s pretty much what happened in the fourth inning of tonight’s game between the Rays and Red Sox.

Jed Lowrie stepped on the third base bag after fielding a grounder off the bat of Sean Rodriguez, then whipped it to Dustin Pedroia for the second out, who made the throw to Adrian Gonzalez to complete the triple play. Watch for yourself here.

Spooky, man.

1. hittfamily - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Poor Sean Rodriguez. He gets drilled twice and hits into a triple play today. Rough day at the office.

It killed our inning. It was a very nice play, particularly by Pedroia, who had a lightning fast turn to first. Truthfully, it was a pertty routine play by Lowrie and Gonzalez, but Pedie made it great.

2. Ari Collins - Aug 16, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Too bad Boston lost nonetheless. And now stand a half game behind the Yankees. Good thing a tie goes to Boston.

• hittfamily - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Unfortunately for Boston, the Rays got rained out Sunday and had an off day yesterday, Which means they had to face Shields and Niemann today, and Price tomorrow. I am a Rays fan, rooting for the Sox. Not tomorrow of course, but I just can’t stand the Yankees. With Price being a lefty, and Ortiz nursing an injury, I’d be shocked if he is back in the lineup. John Lester has a better record than David Price, and Lesters ERA is over 6. What an unfair world we live in (and that applies more to Lester than to Price, as I understand why his mind isn’t on his ERA.) Heres hoping my Rays win tomorrow, but the Sox win the division.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:30 AM

I believe you meant Lackey and not Lester…although I had to look it up because I would have been pretty shocked to see Lester’s ERA above 6.

If the last two nights have shown us anything, it proves that guys like Burnett and Nova clearly know how to win while guys like Price do not ;)

• hittfamily - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Yeah, you’re right CF. I was thinking Lackey, and wrote Lester. Thanks for pointing it out. I was referring to Lackey’s wife having cancer as to what an unfair world we live in.

And you are right. Guys like Price and Shields just don’t know how to win :)

• hittfamily - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Oh, and Desmond Jennings homerun was an absolute bomb. I haven’t seen the tale of the tape, but when the Sox fans in the outfield are highfiving that he hit it out of the stadium, I know it was deep.

Both Kotchmann and Elsbury are having insane years. Kotchmann is on pace to raise his average more in 1 season than anyone in 80 years, .120+. Who wins comeback player of the year in the AL. Personally, I have a hard time giving it to either just based on the name of the award “comeback” They are both coming off of awful seasons, either from ineptitude or injury, but neither were great to start with, and I think that has to figure in.

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:03 AM

The Triple play sure looked like a routine play. There seemed to be a delayed reaction from the fans before they realized that they had seen a triple play.
    What is it with the Boston TV crew. They seemed to be more interested in their food than the game.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3145)