Aug 17, 2011, 7:38 PM EDT
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Yankees manager Joe Girardi poured some cooling solution Wednesday on the idea that third baseman Alex Rodriguez might be activated from the 15-day disabled list in time for Thursday night’s series-opening game against the Twins.
A-Rod went 4-for-10 with a double and a home run during a successful four-game minor league rehab assignment and has reported no lingering pain or discomfort in his surgically-repaired right knee, but the Yankees want to play it safe and may ease their veteran slugger back into action.
Here’s Girardi, speaking to Hoch and the Yankees’ other beat reporters:
“Our plans right now are still to bring him to Minnesota tomorrow if everything goes OK,” Girardi said. “We may not activate him. We may just have him go through some things for a couple of days, then wait a couple of days to activate him.”
Rodriguez, 35, was batting .295/.366/.485 with 13 home runs and 52 RBI in 344 plate appearances before his knee procedure. The Yankees have been relying on Eduardo Nunez and Eric Chavez at the hot corner.
UPDATE, 10:40PM: According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, Rodriguez told reporters at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre that he will not be playing for the Yankees on Thursday night.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)