Aug 17, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Alex Rodriguez continued his rehab assignment yesterday at Triple-A, going 1-for-3 with a single, and afterward told Mike Mazzeo of ESPN New York that he “was a little tentative, a little hesitant” coming back from July 11 knee surgery.
Rodriguez also played six innings defensively at third base, making one putout, and is scheduled to start there again tonight, with a Thursday return to the Yankees on tap if things go well.
Rodriguez compared his current rehab to coming back from hip surgery in 2009, saying “those last few hurdles are more mental than physical.” However, according to Mazzeo’s recap of the game it sounds like he has some physical issues as well:
Rodriguez botched a pair of foul popups, failing to catch up to one in the fourth, and then overrunning one in the fifth. Both gaffes drew boos from the majority of those in attendance. … After singling in the first, Rodriguez looked tentative as he jogged around first base. He jogged to second after catcher Jesus Montero singled, but was stranded there.
One of the greatest players of all time getting booed while rehabbing knee surgery at Triple-A sounds like one of the saddest things ever, although I suppose that’s become sort of par for the course with Rodriguez.
Mazzeo also notes that he “was sporting a massive ice wrap on his right knee during his postgame press conference with the media” and Rodriguez scoffed at the notion of being close to 100 percent healthy.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 11
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 36
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)