And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 17, 2011, 6:02 AM EDT

Arizona Diamondbacks v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Diamondbacks 3, Phillies 2: Roy Halladay struck out 14 and pitched a complete game but lost all the same. Guess he just doesn’t know how to win, huh?  Lyle Overbay knocked in all three of the Snakes’ runs, including a two-run double which ended up winning it in the ninth.

Astros 6, Cubs 5: Where in the hell did that come from? It was 5-2 in the ninth and I was just about ready to write that the Astros may not win 50 games this year, when all of a sudden something called a Brian Bogusevic hits a walkoff grand slam off Carlos Marmol. I mean, sure, Marmol has had his share of meltdowns this year, but since when do the Astros have any late game moxie? Oh, and they still may not win 50 games this year, but given this dramatic win, it would be rude to point that out in this recap.

Braves 2, Giants 1: Whichever San Francisco Giants employee built their house on that ancient Indian burial ground, can you please tear it down? On a day when practically everyone who has ever worn a Giants uniform dating back to Billy O’Dell was placed on the disabled list or otherwise injured, starter Jonathan Sanchez had to leave the game early with a sprained ankle. That the Braves won it on an 11th inning single was probably a blessing for Bruce Bochy, who no doubt was convinced by then that he’d lose a player to Cotard’s Syndrome or something. As it is, he probably has a case of Trichotillomania by now.

Athletics 8, Orioles 4: Read the box score if you want to know what happened in the game. For now, I’m mostly interested in the AP recap. For the second day in a row (here’s yesterday’s), the guy writing the O’s-A’s recap has gone with a pitcher talking about his cut fastball as the centerpiece. Coincidence? Possibly. Maybe that’s just what the player decided to talk about in the clubhouse afterward. But part of me thinks that we have a cutter obsessive on our hands, lurking in west coast ballparks, armed with a press pass and his monomania. But what does he want? WHAT DOES HE WANT?!

Rangers 7, Angels 3:  [As the Angels join hands to sing]: I was born here and I’ll die here against my will. I know it looks like I’m moving, but I’m standing still. Every nerve in my body is so vacant and numb. I can’t even remember what it was I came here to get away from. Don’t even hear a murmur of a prayer. It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.

Red Sox 3, Rays 1; Rays 6, Red Sox 2:  I hit the first game up in a post yesterday. As for the second, one day after I mentioned that I like the bang-bang-bang triple plays, the Red Sox turned one. What kind of sorcery is this, and can I learn to use it on demand?

Tigers 7, Twins 1: Justin Verlander cruises, as usual. I know wins aren’t everything, but the guy is on pace for something like 24 wins right now, and that kind of total doesn’t happen much these days. There’s a righteous argument for him to win the Cy Young on the real merits anyway, but if he snags 24 wins, it’s probably unanimous because it’s the kind of thing on which everyone can agree.

Pirates 5, Cardinals 4: Walkoff homer for Garrett Jones in the 11th. I have no idea how this happened. I mean, Tony La Russa had his ancient lefty specialist in to face the lefty Jones, and the gods who gave La Russa was all of his baseball wisdom proclaimed that such a strategy never fails. I saw it written in flaming letters on the side of a granite cliff. I swear.

Brewers 2, Dodgers 1: As the Cardinals lose, Milwaukee improves to 12-2 in August thanks to Mark Kotsay‘s RBI single to end it in the ninth. They now have a seven game lead in the division. That’s only a half game worse than Philly’s lead in the East, which is the biggest in baseball.

Nationals 6, Reds 4:  I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that, both times recently when I remembered that Wang was pitching, he won.  Because I have a clever little phrase I want to use that I’m sure no one has ever thought of before in the event that someone beats Wang.

Padres 6, Mets 1: Like the Cubs, the Padres are putting it together too late for it to matter. But hey, at least they’re putting it together. How together? San Diego leads all of baseball in runs scored since the All-Star break. Yeah, that’s a bit of a shocker.  Fifteen hits last night, including two triples for Nick Hundley.

Blue Jays 13, Mariners 7: They Jays jumped out to a six-run lead, blew it, and then went on to win by six anyway. It’s like they have a crate of six-run leads in the clubhouse that they can just use whenever.

Marlins 6, Rockies 5: Eight strong innings from Anibal Sanchez to give him his first win in over two months. It was almost deja vu for Florida, though, as the Rockies mounted a ninth inning rally. It fell short, of course. If it hadn’t, I would have written the score differently.

Yankees 9, Royals 7:  Ivan Nova gave up seven runs on nine hits in five and a third. But he got the win, so by definition, that makes him better than Roy Halladay.

White Sox 8, Indians 7:  A wild one. The wildest part: Juan Pierre, offensive hero. A homer in the fourth — only his 16th in his whole long career — and the walkoff single in the 14th.  Also wild: the Sox had five triples. Also wild: the Indians had the bases loaded with one out in the 13th but couldn’t get it done. A five-hour+ game.

133 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:16 AM

If the phillies have to lose, it may as well be to help keep their 2010 nemesis Giants out of the 2011 playoffs. And any Phillies fans who want “revenge” on those bastards Matt Cain and TIMMAY are just saying that to sound macho. And if you REALLY think the Diamondbacks would be a bigger challenge in a short series, then you are just trying not to sound to overconfident. Athletes are supposed to say “it doesn’t matter who we face” but as fans, we can say “bring on the Diamondbacks in the playoffs baby!!!”

The only concern I have right now is Cole Hamels left shoulder.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:45 AM

Watching the game in the 9th, this was Halladay’s game to win or lose. I had no problem whatsoever with Charlie keeping him in the game. He got beat. Plain and simple. He had plenty of rest with the rain out on Sunday and having the day off yesterday. He had 12 stikeouts going into that inning with a paltry 101 pitches.

I could care less about looking who we play in the playoffs. It’s about the journey. All that stuff will work itself out. The Phillies play to win every game. Doc lost the game.

And please do something with that sack of potatoes known as Ross Gload, Phillies. He stinks.

• kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:02 AM

HB- I understand the whole ‘it’s his game’ thing and all, but Halladay’s thrown a ton of innings this season and Charlie had 2 fantastic relief pitchers with good rest in the pen. It’s not like he was throwing a shut-out. 8 innings, 101pitches….sit down please Sir as you have done more than enough for the evening. Let Mr Madson or Mr Bastardo do their Job. Meeehh….could go either way in the school of thought involved, but I can’t help but feel this one jumped out of the boat.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:08 AM

What’s a ton of innings? 184 innings for Halladay is a lot as of August 17th? No. Nonsense. He’s fine. He just got beat. This guy is in such great physical shape he should be able to pitch 280+ innings for the year.

No excuses. He lost the game. Just because he is great, it’s OK to say he got beat.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:08 AM

As a Jays fan, I laughed when I saw that our former first base man got all 3 RBI`s off Doc. I am sure that Doc was steamed. Overbay has been much naligned this season, but he was a useful player in Toronto.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:10 AM

Meh, I’d probably take Halladay having thrown 101 pitches through eight innings. Twelve and a half pitches an inning is nothing. Unless they had all come bunched up in the seventh and eighth (I don’t know if that’s the case or not), Doc’s pitch count certainly shouldn’t have taken him out of the game. You manage his innings when he’s throwing a lot of high-stress innings or when the outcome isn’t in doubt.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:27 AM

He was on cruise control for the previous few innings. He pitches per inning remained remarkably consistent throughout the game. Overbay had hurt him earlier in the game, however and his “stuff” looked like it was fading. For example, when Chris Young was trying to bunt, Halladay was throwing off speed pitches, but they were not sharp at all. Granted Young struck out on the bunt attempt but that was more of a function of poor bunting technique.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Yeah the blowhard in the morning can’t help himself ripping Uncle Cholly for every little thing and he is having a field day today saying he should have taken Doc out. Of course, if he took out Halladay, and the reliever gets rocked, he would be ripping him for taking out Halladay. The guy can’t win. I will say this though…why bother even getting the bullpen up if you weren’t going to use it anyway? Just leave it dormant since everyone knew this was Doc’s game.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Chris, I’m assuming that the blowhard you are talking about is Cataldi. I called in this morning and he dismissed me when I told him that you leave Roy Halladay in no matter what. It wasn’t part of his agenda. As far as having guys warming up in the bullpen in the 9th, there is a simple explanation. Have them ready should the game go into extra innings and/or give them some side throwing sessions given that they have had the last few days off.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I was upset last night and I would have made the change, but I understand leaving Doc in. That is not a reason to bash Charlie. It was a 50/50 call. Sometimes they go your way, sometimes they don’t. If people want to bash Charlie it should be for the continued use of the statue formerly known as Ross Gload.

• kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Who exactly are you referring to Chris?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM

kiwi…Angelo Cataldi, who would be ripping Uncle Cholly if he kept in Doc or if he took him out. He is the most inconsistent idiot on the airwaves. I only listen to the show on the off chance Conklin does a skit, because they are always funny. Unfortunately, you have to deal with Cataldi’s moronic banter the rest of the time.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:51 AM

Chris, especially with Joe Conklin’s skits. They are hilarious. Conklin is the only redeeming part of WIP, and I have been listening to them on and off for over 20 years.

If you call Cataldi with a legitimate point that doesn’t go with his agenda/show, he dismisses you outright. He’s a moron, with his show anyways. Probably off the air the guy is fairly intelligent, being that he has been doing what he has for so long and is successful.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM

the statue formerly known as Ross Gload.

So the Phillies unveiled Kala’s statue before the 1st inning and then unveiled the Gload one during the 9th. Someone didn’t get the memo that the latter was supposed to be a post-game unveiling.

They should have put Harry Kalas’s statue in the batters box, he would have had a higher chance of getting a clutch hit.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Agreed, FC. The statue of Harry Kalas would have had a better at bat than Ross Gload. Besides being handicap, his approach at the plate is a direct result of the reluctance with his hip injury.

If the ball would have hit the Harry Kalas’ statue, he would have had a bases on balls.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I disagree. The fact that he raves like a lunatic regardless of the outcome makes his idiocy very consistent. :-)

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:24 AM

OK, I know longer think the Phillies should DFA Gload. He deserves to be around the team. Instead, they should put him on the 60 day DL with the torn labrum in his hip. That way they can make a roster move and Gload can still be in the clubhouse and dugout. The end result is the same, however, no more Ross Gload appearing in games. I know I talk about this constantly, but outside of injury it is the biggest problem the Phillies have right now. Well, that and continuing to stick with Ibanez is left field. I know Ibanez can heat up and be great for 2 weeks, but it is the 6 weeks in between hot spells that is just a killer.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM

I agree. Good news though is that when they Dl’d Polanco, they called up Schwimmer.

• kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:40 AM

David? He would be worse than Gload I would imagine

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Really? I didn’t see that. Where was that posted?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

Doctor, I believe I saw it on philly.com, but I’m not sure. I’m sure you can find it somewhere.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM

OK, I see. Any idea on who they took off the 40 man?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I don’t think they had to take anyone off the 40 man roster. Since it’s a DL option, they don’t need to manuever the 40 man roster, as far as I know. It’s a 1 for 1 swap.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Chris,

Did you hear Forman, the sabermatric god’s interview on 97.5 FM yesterday in regards to Ryan Howard? I noticed this guy has a blog on his baseball reference site and saw you continued the Howard debate with him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Yeah, I heard Sean on the Fanatic yesterday. Unfortunately, he was debating Sal Pal, who wouldn’t know a baseball if it walked up and bit him on the ass. That dude should seriously stick to the sidelines on Sunday mornings. He and Johnny Marks are embarrassments when it comes to Ryan Howard. MVP? Ugh…they are what make sensible Phillies fans look bad. My opinion is that a guy like Forman is too harsh on Howard, while fans like Marks and Sal Pal overrate the guy. Ryan Howard is NOT an MVP candidate…but he is an elite run producer and when he gets the chance, last night not withstanding, he takes advantage of it more often than most. But to say he is an MVP candidate is simply absurd.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I agree, Chris. They were the last people that should have interviewed Forman. Sal Pal at least brought up the MVP question to Forman and he replied that he wouldn’t even put him in the top 10, which was laughable, even in his 2007 MVP season.

I wanted Missanelli to have done that interview. How do you think that interview would have went?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Yeah, Forman is pretty rock headed with his stats when it comes to Ryan Howard’s best years. Just because his WAR wasn’t all that high guys like him really underrate Howard. Sure he is a bad baserunner and doesn’t play SS or CF. That shouldn’t punish him when he averaged 50 and 140 for his first 4 full seasons. But I’ve come to grips with the fact that it is definitely an “agree to disagree” point with these guys.

It just sucks when guys like Sal Pal come out and say that Howard is an MVP candidate, when I agree with Forman that this year, he really isn’t in the top 10. But from 2006 to 2009, his MVP votes were fine with me.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Chris, once again, I agree. Forman came off in that interview as someone that doesn’t budge on anything. In addition, while reading through the comments last night on his baseball reference site that you were commenting on, I noticed a lot of hostility to what stats you brought up that made perfect sense. There was even a commenter that is one of his disciples that stated something to the effect that in 20 years, traditional radio hosts will be replaced by sabermaticians. Did you see this? They love the fact that they believe they are better than everyone else. It’s an superior attitide. What’s your spin on this?

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

MVP no way, he hasn’t been that for a while now. Victorino has a better case at MVP this year. At least Phillies MVP.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM

FC,

I would say this. If howard goes on his typical tear of late August and September and puts up 38 homers and 130 rbi’s by the end of the season and raises the batting average to around .270, he has to be in the discussion for MVP. We still have plenty of baseball to play.

• uberfatty - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Chris, do you now see why articles like Sean’s need to be written though? Without articles like his, people like that radio guy will continue to believe he is an MVP candidate because they only look at what he does at the plate with men on base. A true MVP should provide the most total value, including being at the plate with no men on, defense, baserunning, etc. I know this was a big sticking point for you the other day (that the article by Sean was “responding to NO ONE”), so hopefully this helps explain why Sean wrote that article.

• jnks10 - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Like that radio guy? You mean Sal Pal who was filling in for Mikey Mizz. If your going to comment on something at least know what your talking about first. And i will give Sal Pal great credit for how the interview ended.
        Sal- Will the phillies win the world series?
        Forman- It’s a coin toss
        Sal- Right now today if you had to say Yes or No waht would it be?
        Forman- Well…. No, but they are the best team in baseball
        Sal- So their the best team in baseball but you don’t think they will win the world series?
        Forman- Well i am just saying it’s a coin toss.

Hahahah they are the best team in baseball but he wouldn’t say they will win the world series. Guy showed his bias right then and there.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM

No, he’s saying that the playoffs are a crap shoot and that the best team doesn’t always win. It’s stupid to say any team WILL win the World Series. IIRC, five times in baseball history has a team won 110+ regular season games. Only twice has said team won the World Series. The ’06 Cubs, ’54 Indians and ’01 Mariners all agree with Forman.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM

2010 Nemesis LOL! Chris you give the Giants way too much credit, they are a shell of their former selves. With so many guys on the DL and the fact that they were not really playing all that well in the last couple of weeks, I would hazard that by the end of August the Giants will collapse, regardless of who the play. The Pirates (!) took two out of three in the bay area. You are way too skittish regarding Lincecum, Cain and Ross. I think you’re traumatized by last year’s NLCS.

I happen to think the current leading teams are good post-season contenders. The Phillies are favorites no doubt, but they aren’t invincible. I prefer to count my chickens after they hatch thank you very much.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM

FC, I think you and I just have a philosophical difference on the most important thing in a short series. In my opinion, it is pitching big in big spots. Matt Cain and Timmay have proven they can do that…they did it last year. Whereas, Kennedy, Hudson, and Saunders really have not.

Again, I am confident that Phillies can beat anybody and will win the World Series. But if I had my choice between AZ making their playoffs as a young team that just won 69 games a year ago…and the 2010 Defending World Chumps, I’ll choose the young guys just happy to be there.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Chris, the difference may indeed be philosophical. I’m not replying to convince you or anything (not that I ever did to begin with) but to expand on my POV. I see what you say about pitching, but without timely hitting you’re screwed. That’s what happened to the Phillies last year. Howard was a big reason for losing that NLCS, to parody one of my wife’s favorite movie scenes: “not one RBI, not a single one, not even from his mother.” And Timmy was hardly dominant, in both Phillies games he allowed 3 ER. Take Cody Ross out the equation (there’s that timely hitting again!) and Lincecum would have lost both games.

This year I have no doubt Lincecum and Cain can pitch great Post-season games, but that lineup of theirs will trip them over. As for young teams that went from last to first: anything can happen in Baseball, ask the 1993 Braves how they felt about their NLCS opponents. Between the Giants and Arizona, the snakes are the better team at this time. But yeah the Phillies should be able to win against either one in a short series. The offense is much improved from last year.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I agree entirely FC. The Giants won for 2 simple reasons…Cody Ross and Blanton starting game 4. If Ross doesn’t channel Babe Ruth and if the Phillies had Oswalt starting game 4 instead of Heavy B, they probably win the NLCS in 5 games with Cain’s masterpiece their only win.

Unfortunately, the Giants won the series and until the kings get knocked off the mountain, I will continue to give them more respect than they probably deserve…until then…go D-Backs ;)

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:11 AM

How is Rasmus doing in Toronto you asked. There is no pressure on him because of the publicity Lawrie is getting. Last night Rasmus hit a bases loaded triple and was brought home by Lawrie. Rasmus got his 4th RBI of the game on a sac fly.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Good for Rasmus. Maybe the change of scenery will do him good. I wish the kid luck. He’s young and talented. Let him just play ball.

• spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, that is working out just great. In 70 plate appearances Rasmus is hitting .224, with a .243 OBP and an OBS of .601 with 1 HR and 14 K’s. Sure it is a small sample, and for Jays fans I am glad he helped you win but his numbers have tumbled since the move, and they were awful before it. So the “just let him play” strategy has so far hasn’t reaped any benefits.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I wanted to bring this up and see if I could get some rational debate from the Giants fans on the site. Anyone else enjoy the hop, skip and jump exhibited by Cody Ross after his bomb last night? Now, I am sure I am going to get the standard “Oh he does this every time” and blah blah. But from a team so sensitive that they plunked a guy after another guy stole second with a 6 run lead in the top of the 6th inning, and their GM came out and called for a public hanging of a guy who cleanly ran into his catcher, who was not set up properly to block home plate and broke his ankle because of it, shouldn’t they really be doing everything clean themselves? If it wasn’t such a close game, I was thinking somebody on the Braves needed to knock that guy on his ass. Maybe someone will do it today if the game gets out of hand.

Stealing bases and playing hard should not warrant plunkings. Acting like a complete jag off after you just hit a home run does.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:10 AM

These are also the same Giants that bitched and moaned about Prince Fielder and the Brewers doing the best walk-off celebration ever. I’d love to say I’m going to enjoy watching the Braves kick their asses in person Thursday night, but it’s Mike Minor against Timmay. Not feeling so good about that one.

• kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM

Since you mention things of that nature….I am curious to know what Pujols was thinking when he admired his shot which was chased down on the warning track.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I didn’t see the Cardinals game, but if he did that, then he deserves a good plunking as well. Also, I know he is King Albert, but he probably should have been pulled from the game for that kind of thing. Like Uncle Cholly says…”I only ask for two thing…play hard and show up on time” If a guy can’t run hard out of the box, then he should be shown a seat on the bench for the rest of that game.

• anonmonster - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM

I continue to believe that the steal was just an excuse to plunk a batter and maybe provide a spark to a lifeless offense. As for Sabean, I think even most Giants fans know he’s one to speak out of turn regularly – most of us were not calling for Cousins’ head. (though I continue to disagree that Posey was blocking the plate. Bad form by Poery? sure. Clean play? I can see that. I think there was a lane to slide though, whether he saw it or not, or thought he wouldn’t make it by sliding.) Not that these explanations excuse the actions, I just wouldn’t call the team sensitive over these things. Sabean probably is a bit though.

As for Ross, yeah that was a bit much. However, I can’t think of any homer Ross has hit that was a sure thing at contact. This could have been ages that he knew that ball was gone on the swing, hence the excitement. That doesn’t excuse it, but I’m not really a fan of the antiquated etiquette that baseball players are supposed to exhibit. Then again, I’m new to baseball – my friends dragged me away from football during the lockout and, much to my wife’s chagrin, I’m now a two-sport guy.

• anonmonster - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM

I accidentally a few words in that last post, and misspelled a few more. I hope you get my point though.

4. FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Aha! So you’re the reason. Are you sure you didn’t sneak a peak at the scoreboard last night? Looked the 2-1 Phillies-DBacks game at the end of 8 and thought: “It would be nice if Arizona made one of thier trademark comebacks against Roy Halladay.”?

5. FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I mean, sure, Marmol has had his share of meltdowns this year

Share? The man is cornering the market. He has 8 blown saves. He’s approaching Ledge levels of closer mediocrity. His 77% save rate is godawful and close to the 73% Lidge sported a couple of years ago.

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I like that initial typo – “Ledge” suits him.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM

That wasn’t a typo. That was his nickname in ’09.

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM

That’s really funny. Like I said, it suited him.

6. uyf1950 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Well the Yankees victory of the Royals wasn’t pretty nevertheless it was a victory. And ugly or not they all count.

A personal observation if I can be allowed. When 2 of Toronto’s pitchers decided it was time to move on one in 2009 and one in 2010 can someone tell me why the Yankees had to get the short end of the stick and get Burnett while Halladay went a little further south to the City of Brotherly Love. As a Yankees fan it hardly seems fair. That’s my my of paying tribute to “Doc” and less say not paying tribute to the “Head Case”. I sure fans will know which is which. As they say in political announcements. I approved this message.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM

It was part of their deal with the Devil, which allowed them to win the 2009 World Series after they spent half a billion during the off-season.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Didn’t spending half a billion negate the need for said Mephistopheles pact?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM

No, because the Baseball Gods were going to inflict their wrath on them for buying up the #1, #2, and #3 free agent in the entire class. But the Devil had his way, and they got “#27″. Now they are stuck with Burnett. Of course, the other two guys they got aren’t doing so bad, but I guess when you are a Yankees fan, it’s either 100% or 0%.

• uyf1950 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Chris, as I like to say 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.

• vintage1496 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I always find I hysterical when Phillies fans bitch about the Yankees spending money, as I’m sure you can all fondly remember watching Halladay, Lee, and Oswalt rise through the ranks of the Philadelphia farm system. And who has the highest payroll in the NL?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Um, first, I wasn’t bitching about the Yankees spending money. I was pointing out that bitching about the one guy out of three who was part of a half a billion dollar spending spree that directly led to winning the 2009 World Series is pretty typical of a Yankees fan.

and FYI…the Phillies didn’t win the World Series with all these acquisitions. The 2008 World Series was won by mostly homegrown talent…like Hamels, Utley, Howard, Ruiz, Rollins, Burrell, Myers, Kendrick(ugh, did I say Kendrick) as well as guys picked up when they were young and cultivated…like Werth, Victorino.

• vintage1496 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Well when someone mentions a deal with the Devil directly relating in an outcome they perceive as negative, that comes across as bitching.

And no one’s talking about 2008, I’m talking about 2011. And that team has three big names the Phillies signed from free agency or a small-market team, while you’re calling out NY for doing the same thing. “Hypocritical” is what that’s called, I believe.

• jnks10 - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Let me Helop ya out here vintage

Ruiz, Howard, Rollins, Utley, Hamels, Mayberry, Brown, Victorino (even though he and Werth were rule 5), Madson, Bastardo, Stutes, kendrick were all farm system players.

Lee, Halladay, Oswalt, Pence, Blanton, Lidge were all aquired using the phillies farm system

Raul, Lee (again), Polanco, Jose Contraers were all signed.

If you don’t consider Lee because he would never be here if we didn’t trade for him then the best player we have that we signed with money instead of using our farm system is 39 year old Raul Ibanez that some argue shouldn’t be playing over Mayberry or Polanco. But ya great arguement.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM

yeah vintage…what he said :P

• vintage1496 - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Ok we don’t need to go through every single player in each of the team’s line-ups. The Yankees and Phillies both signed multiple free agents based on their large payrolls. Is it EXACTLY the same number of players for EXACTLY the same amount of money? No, but close enough that criticizing one while praising the other doesn’t make sense.

But for the sake of transparency – Gardner, Jeter, Cano, Posada, Dickerson, Roberston, Nunez, Rivera, Hughes and Nova were all farm system players. (btw Dominic Brown is still in the minors)

A-Rod, Granderson, Swisher were all acquired using the farm system.

Tex, Burnett, CC and Martin were signed as free agents.

HOLY COW what a difference!

7. kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Sorry for asking but can someone please suggest a good Football site for me? Less fluff, more substance and snark. (PFT is not a valid answer)

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Nyuknyuknyuk….

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Finally, a more corrupt football organization than the NCAA!

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Yes, the NCAA harpies are descending upon the University of Macondo yet again, after Yahoo Sports began patting itself on the back for finally becoming useful. Sounds like those kids had a blast out on that yacht. Good for them, and, pardon my Old Anglo Saxon, fuck the NCAA.

• kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Sorry, I should of said……”Stop,Pause,Go,Stop,Pause,Go”

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Oh, I have no love at all for the NCAA. But FIFA’s in a whole ‘nother league when it comes to sports corruption. Only the IOC can run with them.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

What are you looking for? A blog and message board type site? Sometimes I post on soccerbyives.net. That is more of an American site though.

• anonmonster - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Why not PFT? I use a combo of PFT, a fan site for my team (ninersnation) and the NFC West blogger at espn – Mike Sando is quite good.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I was assuming he meant football in the international sense…apparently I was wrong about that. I will slink away to a corner now.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:17 PM

so it’s a corner kick and not a side throw?

8. Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I kinda miss Cody Ross. He always reminded me of a woodsprite netsuke until he got to the Bay and went hirsute.

Tweeter Watch: Yes, we’ll be satisfying your craving for Mantis Man news right here on Circling the Bases as long as he remains in Cajun purgatory. Our Man in Carefree Individualist’s AAA Exile went one for four with a double and a ribbie last night for the New Orleans Zephyrs, which means, of course, that he is maintaining the approximately .249 batting average for which he was putatively condemned. Incidentally, the oppressive forces of Scrooge McLoria have failed to silence him. Tweeter tweeted that he had been groped by a TSA agent at FLL on the way over there (really). He looked like his shoulder was a little sore. He ought to rub some Ben-Yay on it.

Anibal Sanchez gave up three classic Coors Field dingers but not much else and won his first game since June. It began to look like another useless night for Anibal when, after scoring three runs in the first, the Feesh did their best to run themselves out of an inning in the second. When Emilio Bonifacio (who the Feesh’s announcers have taken to calling “Bonnie,” which makes him sound…well…Scottish or something) went to third on a throwing error on an attempted steal of second, he promptly got nailed at the plate trying to score on an infield smash by Stanton that the third baseman had in his glove before he left the bag in the first place. Then Stanton got thrown out trying to steal second two pitches later. The Feesh have been treating the basepaths like ley lines between Druidic altars all season, with the one between third and home the most malignant.

The Iron Giant launched another ridiculous drive two thirds of the way into the left field stands in the seventh, but hey, it’s Denver, you know? He now has 28, one behind Prince Albert of the rapidly fading Cardinals (I have nothing against St. Louis but I love to watch that putz LaRussa go south), and he still has another night at altitude to catch up with him. Oh, and Ricky Nolasco is three strikeouts behind Dontrelle Willis for the Feesh’s team record and can probably surpass him tonight if he can get out of the second inning. Just a note of interest for the three or four of us Macondoans who care about such theengs. You never know with Ricky, though; his biorhythms are slotted to a wonky gyro.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Gator don’t you have a Radio show I can listen to? (This coming from a guy who Doesn’t listen to Radio at all) You’re pure gold man.

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

>blush<

Ackcherley, I do have a "radio voice" and can glottal clot with the best of 'em. I did some radio in college and, perhaps unsurprisingly, got kicked off the air for being a bit over the edge. Smoking joints in the studio didn't go down well with the assistant dean, who probably spent the better part of three years covering my ass – for which, some years later I got him a ticket to game 6 of the 1977 World Series because he was such a big Dodgers fan. So it goes. But I think that the real final straw was the fake Amos n' Andy festival we broadcast would be held at a local art cinema that drew an angry protest crowd. This was 1970, by the way, to put it into a politico-social context for you. Seemed like a harmless enough joke at the time. Ah well.

I took another stab at it doing jazz commentary on a Macondo station maybe fifteen years ago. The station promptly got sold to a right-wing tawk show network and they cut all the cultural programming. I offered to switch to knuckledragger tawk but I don't think they quite appreciated the way I put it so not much came of that either. Ah well, well. It was a lark anyway.

Would I want to do spowrts tawk? I dunno – if they'd let me stick to baseball and insane political non sequiturs, maybe. I would rather die than have to become familiar with hockey and golf.

9. hbdbrowns33 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM

The Tribe game was by far the WORST Umped game I have ever seen there were so many blown calls it was redonk.

• dnc6 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Absolutely. Not just a terrible strike zone (as expected from Laz Diaz) but some egregious calls in the field as well. Alexei Ramirez tackled Brantley as he rounded second, preventing both Brantley from scoring and Choo from being able to advance to second, yet all four umpires somehow missed the interference. Those four made a mockery of the game last night.

• spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I feel your pain. That Crew just finished up in St. Louis. Butt Awful.

• Lukehart80 - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I was wondering about some of the calls. I was at the game, so it’s impossible to tell about the strike zone, but there were a TON of called strikes. The Ramirez/Brantley play looked bad, the guy looked out at third on one of the triples, and so on.

The Tribe sort of got what they deserved for playing Fukudome in CF, the right/center alley turned singles into doubles and doubles into triples all night, but the umping seemed off from the first inning on through the next five hours.

10. Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:04 AM

All I’m going to say is the Cubs would kill to have a good closer. Charlie Manuel has 2 good closers, and a third who probably isn’t half bad either. Use them Charlie, let these guys do their jobs, just like you let your starters do theirs. It’s quite simple. I’m a huge fan of Roy, but this wasn’t a shut out, this was a classic save situation and you have to put one of your closers in last night. I am not a fan of wearing out these starters all season long. Hamels shoulder probably hurts because he’s been trying to keep up with Roy too much. If I’m Charlie I try to use my 8th and 9th inning guys more right now. It gives them work, and it gives these starters a break. If anyone remembers, Roy was somewhat injured for the NLCS last season, even he wears down from a long hard season.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Jonny,

How is 184 inning as of the 17th of August overworking the Doc? He lost the game. Why is that hard for some fans to accept? Hell, Steve Carlton completed 30+ games a year, win or lose, and won a ton of games.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Just like last season he leads the league in innings pitched. That’s how. He isn’t the youngest pitcher in the game either. I know it’s Roy Halladay and all, but he is human. Look, maybe I’m wrong here, but with these really good closers why lean on a heavily used Roy Halladay in the ninth after he pitched 8? There are three good reasons to do so imo. 1) a no-no is taking place 2) a shut out is taking place 3) you have absolutely no faith in your closer. That obviously was not the case. I feel 8 innings is plenty and anyone who leaves in their starter for the ninth without one of my 3 points above being met are making a mistake.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Doc has also had struggles in the 9th inning of games this season.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Jonny,

I understand your belief in the closer role. I don’t as such share your opinion with getting the closer out there, no matter the success. I believe when you have a horse like Roy Halladay going into the 9th with a 2-1 lead that has dominated with 12 strikeouts, you go with the horse. It’s his game to win. Even if he has a couple of baserunners, I want him to either win or lose the game. But, I understand your point of view as well. That’s cool.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Good Doctor,

I have read and heard those stats on Doc in the 9th. I don’t buy them after a few samples. The guy is a stud and I want him out in the 9th, win or lose.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:35 AM

J5, I don’t think there is any reason to take Doc out of that game. He had 101 pitches through 8 and he was dominating. Once he starts the 9th, it’s his game. Doc with 101 pitches is still the best pitcher on the team.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I would typically agree with you guys on your premise, but at this time of the season I would be more interested in getting the pen a little more work and the starters a little less. I love complete games as much as the rest of you but the Phillies need to make sure everyone is healthy for the post season. Roy is worked harder than any pitcher in the game and he’s 34. IMO Charlie needs to lighten the load on him, starting a couple of weeks ago. Lee as well. He’s working their balls off. I know they want to all pitch complete games every night but it’s going to bite them. I’m not trying to trash Charlie, I just think he’s letting these pitchers stay in a little too long. Keep your eye on the prize.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I general I agree BUT, in this case there were very good reasons to consider putting in Bastardo to face Overbay:

1) Halladay had the go ahead run in circulation.
        2) Overbay had his # all night, 2 for 3 and a line-drive out till that point, and he pushed the earlier run across the plate.
        3) Bastardo has been well… a nasty bastard all season
        4) plus L v L matchup.

If it had been anybody else but Halladay, Bastardo comes in, no doubt in my mind. In any case leaving Halladay is not a boneheaded mood, but it was a risky one. The conservative “safe” move would have been to bring in Bastardo.

Charlie gambled and lost this time, but his non-move was valid.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Jonny,

I understand your concerns. And they are legitimate ones. I acknowledge that. Roy is 34 and has to be monitored. I would just say that while I agree with you, I don’t think that many people thought he would lose that game. We will get them tonight with Cliff Lee pitching.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Like I said above, last night wasn’t the situation to manage Doc’s workload. His arm wasn’t stressed, so there was unlikely to be an immediate damage done by leaving him out there, and one inning isn’t going to make a difference to any kind of overall wear and tear.

• cur68 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

J5: I agree. He is Harry LeRoy Halladay III, but eventually that metal fatigue will get your cyborg arm everytime. I feel few are more qualified than you to speak to this since you are currently held together by solder, rubber bands & spit.

In all seriousness, a playoff series looms in a month or so. Now’s the time to rest up the Nexus 6 and that rotation of cannons that will carry the Phills to either victory or the sight of Chris streaking. Makes slightly more sense to rest Doc at this point than it does to leave him out for 9.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM

My beaver loving northern friend, that’s all I’m saying. It’s time to cool off the hydraulics and circuit boards some for preparation for the NLCS. It isn’t as cool down here and the Doc has been running hot and hard lately.

• curr68 - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Also, Jose Bautista is the hairy, Dominican pestle to my flaccid, gamey Canuck mortar.

11. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

“[The Brewers] now have a seven game lead in the division. That’s only a half game worse than Philly’s lead in the East, which is the biggest in baseball.”

This is a point, of which demands a counter point. This sentence is a testament to just how friggin’ good the Phillies are, not the Brew Crew, which really does not need to be said here by a Braves fan with a bunch of Phanatic minions. The counterpoint, which I will certainly beat to death, is that, yes, the Bravos are the furthest second place team from their division leader, but the Bravos are SIX GAMES UP ON THE WILDCARD!!!! ATL has the exact same record as the Brew Crew AND would be first in the NL West, AL West and AL Central by record. So, let’s put this in perspective shall we? Thank God for the wild card and small sample sizes in playoff series b/c that is what I’m riding on this year.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Cerrano, that’s a point upon which we can agree 100%…I’d rather be second best to the best team in baseball than lead one of the crappiest divisions in baseball. The Brew Crew, while good in their own right, is no better than 3rd in the NL and 5th in baseball, behind the Phillies, Braves, Yankees, and Red Sox. Also, whereas the Phillies are 15 games up (in the loss column) in the Wild Card race, the Brewers are but 6.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Yet people want to make it harder for the Wild Card in the playoffs, because being awesome overall isn’t nearly as important as being the one-eyed king in the land of the blind.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM

For what it’s worth I would always give the team with the better record home field advantage, if that means the Wildcard gets HFA over a division leader so be it. I mean the Braves have been #2 NL all year long, why should they be penalized if the #1 NL is in their same division?

• cadillacjosh - Aug 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I would put the Brewers/Braves tied for 4th. I dont think you can say that either team is clearly better.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:20 PM

The Brewers need to keep it up. It’s only recently that they have surged. Braves have been doing it consistently all year long.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Phanatic minions

Pa-poy? Para tu?

12. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM

“Ivan Nova gave up seven runs on nine hits in five and a third. But he got the win, so by definition, that makes him better than Roy Halladay.”

This is a point. Completely accurate in every way. ‘Nuff said.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Hahahahaha! Are you serious? You got a response out of me, like Craig and his saber friends would like.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

You should know my sarcasm by now, ‘Cepts! Halladay is one of my favorite players in the game. I’m guessing we have that in common. Craig literally had me laughing out loud on that one.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I know El Bravo. Just wanted to give you a response since I have not talked to you in awhile. :)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Nice to chat with you too, but let’s elevate the small talk to medium talk. So, how’s your marriage?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM

LOL

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM

My marriage? LOL! My girfriend and I are fine. She hates my devotion to baseball and cerveza. But, other than that, all is fine.

By the way, El Bravo, Philly love the beating of Brian Wilson by the Braves the other day. What did you think?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Just a ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ reference in case you really thought I was digging into your personal life.

Anyway, I loved that the Bravos beat Wilson and I loved that it was my boy Freddie Freezy who beat him. I really do wish Heyward would figure his shit out though b/c he’s been driving me nuts ever since I created an account in WordPress that I named in his honor.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM

El Bravo,

I hear the pundits ala Jayson Stark saying that Freddie Freeman will win the Rookie of the Year award. What do you think? Is he worthy and why?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Bravo, did you see the one about the Palestinian chicken joint? If you did, how about the trash that hot little Palestinian was talking to Larry as she was taking care of business? I laughed for a half hour, no bs.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Anyone who doesn’t know, look this up on you tube. ” Curb Your Enthusiasm – Occupy This ” It’s dirty so keep that in mind.

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Probably a three-way rundown between him, Kimbrel and Espinosa. Not a ton of rooks have gotten significant plate appearances this year in the NL, and Freeman’s clearly the best hitter amongst them. It depends on how much one values a quality defensive second baseman, I guess, to determine how Espinosa stacks up against him. For my money though, it’s Kimbrel. Usually I’m the first one railing against the veneration of the Closer with a Capital C, but Kimbrel’s the real deal. More innings than your typical reliever, and there doesn’t seem to be anything fluky about his performance – his peripheral stats indicate he might even be pitching better than his ERA>

13. seattlej - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM

It was good to see an elite run producer like Overbay get the job done last night. He’s no MVP candidate, but man, that guy is such a clutch hitter. I know his WAR is terrible, but last night proves that WAR isn’t everything, and it just underrates the things that Overbay does on the field to help his team win! Man, he is so clutch! What an RBI producer!

• seattlej - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:42 AM

You know, it’s a shame that the Phillies weren’t able to grab him. He’s exactly what that offense needs — a clutch hitter that gets the big hits when it really matters. Sure, all other aspects of his game are absolutely atrocious, but man, I just can’t get over how clutch he is when the ducks are on the pond! What an RBI producer! He is so elite.

• kopy - Aug 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I laughed.

14. Ari Collins - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I saw 96 comments on today’s ATH before noon, and thought to myself, “What, did the Phillies lose?”

• wlschneider09 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM

No, there just isn’t a good Ryan Howard thread today.

15. APBA Guy - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:50 AM

A’s win, and in front of a 20% increase in attendance (to 12,000, although it sure looked like the same 7,500 from Monday.) Brian Matusz reminds me a lot of Madison Bumgardner, same straight pitch, similar velocity. But Matusz’ lapses in location are more frequent than Bumgardner, and it’s a tougher league, so even the weak hitting A’s were able to punish him. Though in fairness, the 3 run second was started by two straight jam shots dropping in. Moscoso had just enough command to avoid getting bombed. His velocity is strictly 5th starter, but he uses the big ballpark well. Willingham hit the longest HR to left I’ve seen this year, then promptly undid his good work by butchering a fly to left which confirmed all the scouts impressions of him when they did not recommend him for trade.

Meanwhile, Texas won, again, and the Angels lost. The look of pure joy on Mike Napoli’s face as he participates in the demolition of his old club is indeed illuminating.
    One wonders if the normal rubbing it in against your old club doesn’t have a deeper philosophical basis here, as Torrealba was catching (very well) for the Rangers while Napoli DH’s at a .974 OPS clip. How is it that the Angels could not find a place for that kind of bat? Discuss.

It was a good night for A’s Alumni last night: Kotsay with a big hit and Giambi with a 2-run pinch hit for the Rockies. Giambi’s OPS is 1.040. And I’m sure the WADA people are 3-deep outside his locker.

Finally, Los Gigantes, or los Muertos as we’re starting to call them here. After losing last night tonight in an absolutely must win game. Last year on August 16 they were 3.5 out to the Padres, which is precisely the distance they have to go to the Diamondbacks currently. And last year the gap got to 5.5. But it didn’t feel good at all last night, losing in 14 after Wilson’s meltdown the night before, and then when the D’backs rallied against Doc…well, no help there. Maybe the moment has truly passed and the genie is back in the bottle. That -10 run differential right now compared to 2010’s +72 is really all anyone needs to know about this year’s chances.

• The Rabbit - Aug 17, 2011 at 3:13 PM

How is it that the Angels could not find a place for that kind of bat? Discuss.

At the time, I had wondered the same thing regarding both Napoli and Vlad.

I never understood how the Angels couldn’t find a place for Napoli’s bat. Of course, by the time Scioscia was done dicking around with Napoli, a trade may have been necessary for “clubhouse harmony”.
      I am curious what Angels fans thought at the time. I didn’t see enough local stuff to get a feel whether the fan base supported or were frustrated with Scioscia’s apparent love of “defensive” catchers. Was there a conflict with Napoli and the pitching staff?

Re Vlad: Last year, he had a fine season for Texas. This year in Baltimore, not so much, but his average and OBP would be near the top of this year’s Angels. Hard to tell what his RBI and Run totals would look like if he played for a team that actually had baserunners on a regular basis. He certainly would have cost the Angels a lot less than the moves they did make.

16. paperlions - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Can we just change the name of ATH to: “Phillies Post-game Analysis”?

Or give the Phillies game it’s own thread and have a ATHIATTPG (And That Happened In Addition To The Phillies Game) thread?

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:22 PM

They’d still take over ATH. It’d be like trying to contain a virus in an appendage. It’ll still find a way to spread to the rest of the body.

• spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

But just think come October how much fun we are going to have when they don’t win it all.

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Phillies in six. Mark my words.

• spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Since when did you become such a killjoy?

• Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Following prostate surgery?

17. Lukehart80 - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I am writing about something that has little to do with the Phillies, but I have a way to tie it to them after-all, so perhaps someone will notice this:

As Craig mentioned, the White Sox hit five triples. Well, it turns out no team has hit more than that since Pittsburgh did it in 1925! What’s that? You say the Phillies don’t play in Pittsburgh? …Crap.

Well, the last time a team hit even 5 triples was 1986… when the Phillies did it!

25 years, and it likely won’t happen again anytime soon, unless another manager is dumb enough to let Fukudome play center-field like Acta did last night.

18. spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Hey Fior be careful what you wish for, your “Omnipotent Nine” just got trimmed by the D-backs again, falling to 1-3 vs. the boys from Arizona. Need an antidote for that nasty snakebite you absorbed last night? Even a sweep of the next two will only net you a .500 record vs your most likely opponent in the first round of Post Season, and you have to face Ian Kennedy in game 3 of the series while sending the recently torched Van-ishing Worley to the mound. Be afraid, be very afraid!

• Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Yes, because in-season head-to-head records are so predictive of what’s going to happen in the playoffs.

• paperlions - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

That doesn’t matter, Fior thinks they do….and that is what matters with respect to the post.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Potatoman, you fail to see that the regular season, when the Phillies are in cruise control, means absolutely nothing to me. The AZ 9 are playing well and are fighting for their playoff lives while the Phillies are 14 games in the playoffs in the loss column. I repeat…THE PHILLIES ARE 14 GAMES IN THE PLAYOFFS IN THE LOSS COLUMN.

You can twist it anyway you want…the fact is that I would rather play the Arizona Diamondbacks and their pitching staff with almost ZERO postseason experience over Cain and TIMMAY who have rings.

oh and PS…Worley won’t get a sniff in the playoffs…at least not in innings 1-7.

• spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM

So by “Cruise Control”, you mean the Phightens’ aren’t putting forth their best effort? Just goin’ through the motions? Remember that switch isn’t so easy to turn on and off.

19. Old Gator - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I’m having a blast watching these horsemeat and Velveeta eaters going apoplectic over a single loss, especially at the hands of an overnight scrapheap pickup like Overbay. It’s as if they’d suddenly stumbled over an even integer of Pi and were trying to convince themselves that reality hadn’t ruptured along its entire parabolic seam with utter improbability. As if some greater destiny, within whose ambit all our fortunes are predicated, had wobbled on its axis and now pointed at some malignant nemesis nova burning in an as yet unsuspected galaxy long ago and far, far away. As if some eldritch god, one so unholy and execrable that even Chthulhu wouldn’t let it clean his outhouse, had crossed the boundary into our world and taken command of the team’s destiny, if even only for a night. As though Galileo had determined that the universe had begun to contract and that the promised world championship season would now run backwards, its cosmic entitlement deferred, to its origins in a mediocre April and freeze in thermodynamic stasis there forever. As if it wasn’t obvious to any unblinkered non-homeboy that this team was going to the world series and was going to win it, leaving them an entire offseason of obnoxious hooting and crowing in the ears of the rest of us.

Get real. It was a goddamned hiccup.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Hey Gator, you should try using metaphors in your writing.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3304)