Aug 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
When the Angels selected C.J. Cron with the 17th pick in June’s draft they did so knowing he had a shoulder injury that could eventually require surgery, but now the 21-year-old first baseman is going under the knife for a different reason.
Cron dislocated his kneecap after playing 34 games in rookie-ball and Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that he’ll undergo surgery later this week to repair damaged ligaments.
Prior to the injury Cron was destroying Pioneer League pitching, hitting .308 with 13 homers and 41 RBIs. There’s no official timetable yet for his recovery, but Cron should be fully healthy well before the start of next season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)