Aug 17, 2011, 8:45 PM EDT
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Braves signed the 35-year-old to a minor league contract on Wednesday night and have assigned him to Triple-A Gwinnett.
Helms could join the major league bench in Atlanta when rosters expand on the first of September.
A 13-year big league veteran, he registered a disappointing .191/.276/.236 slash line with zero home runs and six RBI in 124 plate appearances for the Marlins this season. He owns a .256/.318/.405 lifetime batting line.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (124)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)