Carlos Ruiz sits with oh, OW, OW, OW!

Aug 17, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT

Carlos Ruiz, Miguel Montero Getty Images

After getting examined Wednesday, Carlos Ruiz is out of the Phillies lineup tonight with what’s officially being termed a left testicle contusion.

Ruiz was injured by a Roy Halladay pitch in Tuesday’s loss, and though he was attended to by the trainer then, he was able to finish the game.  He’s considered day-to-day, and Brian Schneider is starting in his place tonight.

128 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:37 PM

They should bat Cliff Lee 7th tonight. Wilson Valdez is sporting a robust .578 in the OPS department with 0 HR and 10 XBH in 199 at bats. Brian Schneider has a .545 OPS with 2 HR and 4 doubles in 89 at bats. Cliff Lee has a .614 OPS with 2 HR and 2 doubles in 53 at bats.

2. Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:46 PM

YOUCH!!!!!!!!!! Matthew, I’m pretty sure it’s a safe bet he won’t be sitting much. (I’m typing this through sympathy tears.)

3. Charles Gates - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I hope the training staff uses hand moisturizer.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:56 PM

I’m going to be giving a commentary of the game this evening right here on this thread, starting in the bottom of the first inning only breaking for a 15 minute drive home at 8. I really don’t expect anybody to care but anybody wishing to join along is more than welcome. Why would I do this you ask? Because it’s the future Mrs.MonkeyArmy week to work and I will be alone and board.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

I will be alone and board

Hmm have you tried planking? ;)

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM

No, I have not…looks like a bizarre trend. Hey, do you still follow soccer?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Yes, but not as much as I should. Whats up?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

No reason in particular. I just follow it as much as baseball and it just seems like so few people actually follow the sport. It’s just that time of year…EPL kicking off, Champions League getting into gear, MLS season in full swing.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Ah yeah, it’s an exciting time. I used to follow Serie A religiously, but the games are rarely shown. There’s an online site that a bunch of friends swear by (http://atdhe.tv/) that I”m going to check out this year.

Just so hard now. MLB playoffs/end of the year coming up, EPL/Serie A/Champions’ League, NFL. I need more TV’s in my house.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Yeah, I use that site for games that I can’t get on TV…GoalTV shows Serie A matches a bunch as well as La Liga and some Bundesliga. Fox Soccer Channel shows a ton of EPL matches. That is mainly what I follow in Europe. I must admit that I am an Arsenal fan…I’m actually wearing a Dennis Bergkamp shirt right now

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Any chance you know of a site that replays games? I wanted to catch the Barca/Real game but completely forgot about it. And now they are showing some bastardized version of tennis =\

And a Gunner, I never would have guessed.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM

I don’t…sometimes ESPN3 has replays of games but I doubt they have that one. I have it on DVR even though I know the result already. Always interesting matches to watch and I wanted to see if Cesc made his Barca debut. Yeah, much suffering these days for us Gunners. Watched their opening match and the CL match yesterday….in for a long season. Wenger needs to reinvest that 100 million he got for Fabregas and Nasri….if not I don’t see them finishing top 4 this season.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:41 PM

I had a ton of problems with espn3 and timewarnercable (grr). I’ll check it out though.

Good luck this year, and losing Cesc is rough. Every 18 year old american kid needs to watch him and Iniesta play midfield. It’s beautiful.

I might throw my support to Arsenal this year, anyone but ManU.

And thanks for the info, enjoy the game as I’ve digressed you enough already.

5. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Ok…Cliff Lee is not batting 7th this evening. It goes Rollins, Victorino (what’s up with his suspension), Utley, Howard, Pence, Mayberry Jr. (no Ibanez thankfully), Valdez, Schneider, Lee.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM

That’s one way to start the game.

• bleedgreen - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Aren’t the Phils like, 392493274897893289742-0 when rollins homers leadoff?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Close to it.

6. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Wow…first pitch HR for Rollins…T-Mac informs us that it is his 37th career lead off HR. Rather impressive if you ask me. Strike zone looks a bit tight tonight. Utley is sporting the soul patch these days, odd look for him. He always looks so angry. Up comes Howard…promptly grounds into the DP.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:26 PM

In other Philadelphia sports news: Jeremy Maclin does not have cancer, AIDS, or any of that other crap people with “inside info.” have been claiming for weeks.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Valdez needs someone to look up to.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Over/Under on Valdez GIDP tonight at 2.

7. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:28 PM

T-Mac and Wheels just explained that last nights loss was the 1st time ever that Halladay lost a lead in the 9th inning and went on to lose. Amazing stat. Makes the decision to leave him in all the wiser despite the result.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:11 PM

True but it’s not the first time he’s had issues in the 9th. Much different from 2010. He had an ERA of 1.00 during the 9th. This year his ERA is 7.74. As usual you can pick any stat you want to say what you want. So take this one with a pinch of salt.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Yeah, I posted a link with those numbers on another thread earlier today. Not just losing a game in the 9th this year or with the Phillies but ever…that is amazing for the amount of CG this guy has thrown in his career.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:34 PM

And when you consider that a lot of those complete games have been 1-0 and 2-0 games it is even more amazing

8. Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Franzke and LA are talking about ecru, sonora sand and other colors, as well as desert locales.

9. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Strike zone real tight tonight. Seems to be throwing Lee off his game a tad.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Damn, Cliffy!!!!

10. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Goldschmidt 2 run HR…bombed into the same area Rollins hit his. Lee needs to settle down or it could be a bad Lee outing that are known to happen.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I am watching this game in French and do not understand a word that the announcers are saying. For a moment, I thought that they said that the home run was hit by Goldfinger.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

Then the Phillies are really in trouble.

11. Charles Gates - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM

And Lee gives up a bomb.

12. Charles Gates - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I am unimpressed by Cliff Lee’s facial hair. More discussion about this please.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Yes, it looks terrible. He is going for the hobo look these days.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM

It’s better than Wilson’s and Werth’s (if he still has it, though I don’t believe I’ve seen him without at least a soul patch).

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM

In the Nationals series they had a close up of Werth and it looked like he had some alopecia going on. Wheels explains that the Diamondbacks are up a run because they went walk, homer while the Phillies went homer, walk. Thanks Wheels.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Ah…nothing like good old Wheels wisdom.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Phightins score double, single, pop up slide.

13. Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:39 PM

If Pence scores here, I will credit the bacon.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Bacon.

• Charles Gates - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM

BACON

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM

I can’t wait to hear him explain that slide at third

14. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM

So, the Braves signed Wes Helms to a minor league contract…speaking of minor league contracts, Dave Bush pitched 6 scoreless innings of 3 hit ball for the Iron Pigs last night. Pence falls over the 3rd base bag and still scores…wait, he slid into third for some reason…but still scores on the RBI single by Mayberry Jr. T-Mac finds this hilarious.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Franzke said he misread Samuel’s sign.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM

And they are showing Hunter Pence wearing a shirt that says, “Good game, Let’s go eat.” Apparently they are now for sale in the Phillies retail store.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:42 PM

How!? He was windmilling him home the second that ball was hit

15. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Almost the first DP of the night by Valdez…good take out slide by Mayberry Jr. forces an errant throw into the dugout.

16. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Close play, Lee looked out. Nice play by the second baseman.

17. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Dodge “Stump the Fans” Trivia question….last Phillies player to have back to back 200 hit seasons? Any guesses?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Utley…?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Can’t be…doesn’t play enough games to get that many hits. I think he would of if Lannan didn’t break his hand.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Could it be Chuck Klein?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM

He always seems to be the answer to such questions. That was my guess….we will find out next inning.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM

His name does come up a lot. But it was not him in this instance

18. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Infield single by the pitcher. Tough play for Utley. I don’t think he gets him even if he fields that cleanly. Credit Saunders for hauling ass up the first base line. Now the ump seems to be giving the inside corners. Can only help both pitchers.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Definitely giving the inside corner now…wasn’t giving that either way to start the game. Noticed it last inning to Mayberry Jr. Better than last night where the ump was giving every call to both pitchers. Lee seems to have settled down. Anyway, I am leaving work for home now. Will continue dialogue in like 20 minutes.

19. kiwicricket - Aug 17, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Justin seems to have eaten the Lions share of the fresh meat when the two brothers were growing up. Thought they were pretty similar builds, but it’s not even close.

20. theonlynolan - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Testicle contusion, AKA the Adrian Beltre

21. crazimitch - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Ruiz is a tough SOB, further proof (circumstantial evidence) that catchers are the hockey players of MLB.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM

They certainly dress the part.

22. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Ok, I am back….didn’t seem to miss anything. It looks as though you are going to have to pitch inside to righties and away to lefties this evening.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Hopefully Valdez can get on base so the dangerous Lee gets an AB with RISP

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Unfortunately he could not. Boring inning there really. Not much going on…Sarge has been in the booth since the 4th. I miss Wheels already.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Is it bad that during the LA games I watched the Dodgers feed?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:33 PM

No….I like Wheels so I always watch the Philadelphia stations, but I know that many, many people don’t like him.

• FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:38 PM

I don’t dislike Wheels so much as its annoying that at times they completely ignore the action and I’m like: “CALL THE GAME!”

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I rather enjoy Wheels. I can’t stand Sarge though. he comes across as arrogant, and always negative. It’s as though someone pissed in his corn flakes

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Me too. Wheels is a big timer homer too but calls a fair game. Gets a bad rap from some fans.

• firedude7160 - Aug 17, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I have noticed that. I would agree that, for being such a homer, he manages to call it like it is.

23. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Saunders looks unhappy with the strike zone while at the plate. He shouldn’t be…the ump has been calling in the same both ways all game…inside corner to right handers, outside corners to left handers. Meanwhile, another 1-2-3 inning for Lee. Phillies need to get some offense going, though it looks unlikely this inning.

24. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Know way that was a strike on Rollins…anyway, Saunders looks to have settled in now as well. Another boring inning for the Phillies. Need Wheels to spice things up a tad.

25. FC - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Rollins looks unhappy with the strike zone, I felt that was kind of low.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 17, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Yeah, that wasn’t a strike. That was about the only inconsistent call all night long though.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2522)