Aug 17, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Davis was placed on the disabled list yesterday with a right shoulder injury that president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail described as “a small tear.” He’s scheduled to be examined Thursday by Dr. Lewis Yocum, which means season-ending surgery could be right around the corner.
It’s a tough break for Davis, who spent much of the past two seasons at Triple-A and was finally in line to play regularly down the stretch in Baltimore. Instead he whiffed 14 times in 40 at-bats and probably won’t be back in the lineup until 2012.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)