Aug 17, 2011, 10:32 PM EST
It’s becoming less and less likely that Mets starter Johan Santana will be able to return to major league action before the 2011 season is through.
According to beat writer Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the rehabbing southpaw has been cleared to return to Port St. Lucie, Florida after a successful checkup back in Queens, but he will not step back atop a mound for at least another week.
The Mets are hoping that a more cautious approach will help Santana avoid further setbacks. He was shut down for a period earlier this month due to fatigue in his surgically-repaired shoulder.
Santana hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since early September, 2010, and is quickly running out of time here one season later. The 32-year-old is owed a salary of $24 million next year and $25.5 million in 2013.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)