Aug 17, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Chance Ruffin couldn’t technically be traded until now because the 2010 supplemental first-round pick hadn’t been under contract for a year, but reports pegged him as the player to be named later in the Doug Fister trade last month and today the Tigers and Mariners made it official.
And the Mariners wasted no time calling up Ruffin, adding the 22-year-old reliever to the bullpen for tonight’s game. Ruffin previously had a brief stint with the Tigers and the former University of Texas star was dominant in the minors with a 2.03 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 49 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. He projects as a late-inning bullpen option and potential closer.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)