Aug 17, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Chance Ruffin couldn’t technically be traded until now because the 2010 supplemental first-round pick hadn’t been under contract for a year, but reports pegged him as the player to be named later in the Doug Fister trade last month and today the Tigers and Mariners made it official.
And the Mariners wasted no time calling up Ruffin, adding the 22-year-old reliever to the bullpen for tonight’s game. Ruffin previously had a brief stint with the Tigers and the former University of Texas star was dominant in the minors with a 2.03 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 49 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. He projects as a late-inning bullpen option and potential closer.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32