Aug 17, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Chance Ruffin couldn’t technically be traded until now because the 2010 supplemental first-round pick hadn’t been under contract for a year, but reports pegged him as the player to be named later in the Doug Fister trade last month and today the Tigers and Mariners made it official.
And the Mariners wasted no time calling up Ruffin, adding the 22-year-old reliever to the bullpen for tonight’s game. Ruffin previously had a brief stint with the Tigers and the former University of Texas star was dominant in the minors with a 2.03 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 49 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. He projects as a late-inning bullpen option and potential closer.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 53
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 133
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 132
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (133)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (132)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)