Aug 17, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix tweets that the Diamondbacks have talked to the Reds about shortstop Edgar Renteria.
Renteria, a black hole offensively while hitting .225/.304/.268 in the first half of the season, has really stepped it up since the All-Star break, batting .282/.309/.487. He has 10 extra-base hits and 15 RBI in 78 second-half at-bats. He had just four extra-base hits and 13 RBI in 142 at-bats during the first half.
The Reds are 12 1/2 games back in the NL Central and it seems unlikely that they’re going to want to bring Renteria back next year, so maybe something could get done here. If the Diamondbacks picked up Renteria, he’d likely be more of a replacement for Ransom than a new starting shortstop.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)