Aug 17, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix tweets that the Diamondbacks have talked to the Reds about shortstop Edgar Renteria.
Renteria, a black hole offensively while hitting .225/.304/.268 in the first half of the season, has really stepped it up since the All-Star break, batting .282/.309/.487. He has 10 extra-base hits and 15 RBI in 78 second-half at-bats. He had just four extra-base hits and 13 RBI in 142 at-bats during the first half.
The Reds are 12 1/2 games back in the NL Central and it seems unlikely that they’re going to want to bring Renteria back next year, so maybe something could get done here. If the Diamondbacks picked up Renteria, he’d likely be more of a replacement for Ransom than a new starting shortstop.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)