Aug 17, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix tweets that the Diamondbacks have talked to the Reds about shortstop Edgar Renteria.
Renteria, a black hole offensively while hitting .225/.304/.268 in the first half of the season, has really stepped it up since the All-Star break, batting .282/.309/.487. He has 10 extra-base hits and 15 RBI in 78 second-half at-bats. He had just four extra-base hits and 13 RBI in 142 at-bats during the first half.
The Reds are 12 1/2 games back in the NL Central and it seems unlikely that they’re going to want to bring Renteria back next year, so maybe something could get done here. If the Diamondbacks picked up Renteria, he’d likely be more of a replacement for Ransom than a new starting shortstop.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)