Aug 17, 2011, 6:10 PM EST
John Gambadoro of 620 KTAR in Phoenix tweets that the Diamondbacks have talked to the Reds about shortstop Edgar Renteria.
Renteria, a black hole offensively while hitting .225/.304/.268 in the first half of the season, has really stepped it up since the All-Star break, batting .282/.309/.487. He has 10 extra-base hits and 15 RBI in 78 second-half at-bats. He had just four extra-base hits and 13 RBI in 142 at-bats during the first half.
The Reds are 12 1/2 games back in the NL Central and it seems unlikely that they’re going to want to bring Renteria back next year, so maybe something could get done here. If the Diamondbacks picked up Renteria, he’d likely be more of a replacement for Ransom than a new starting shortstop.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 8
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 59
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 69
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)