Aug 17, 2011, 2:40 PM EDT
Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster was on a radio show today and he was asked about Carlos Zambrano and whether or not he would be welcomed back to the Cubs.
Dempster was pretty sensible about it all in my view. He noted that some stuff would have to happen before Zambrano could come back and noted that, whatever Zambrano does, he may not be back anyway. But he didn’t slam the guy either, noting that off the field Zambrano is a nice friendly guy that everyone likes. But …
“As a human being, as a person, Carlos has been great. He’s been so supportive of me and my family and anything that we’ve ever done. I think something just happens when it comes to being out there on the field that makes him do certain things, and I don’t know the answers to that.”
Not that I’m going with the esteemed Dr. Dempster as an authority here, but there’s probably a lot to that. Everyone wants to ascribe selfish or jerkish motivations to the guy for his behavior. I wonder if it’s not the case that the guy is actually mentally ill in some way and just can’t deal with the ups and downs of athletic competition.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 45
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead