Aug 17, 2011, 9:29 PM EST
Strasburg, now 11 months removed from Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery, allowed four hits, two walks and five earned runs in under two innings of work Wednesday evening against the Astros’ Single-A affiliate from Lexington, Kentucky.
He struck out three and hit 97 mph with his fastball, but the 23-year-old did not look overly sharp in what can be considered his worst professional start.
Strasburg tallied four strikeouts and yielded one run in 1 2/3 innings with Single-A Hagerstown during his first minor league rehab game, back in early August. He then threw three scoreless innings for Single-A Potomac in his second rehab appearance, fanning five.
Wednesday’s outing was certainly ugly, but the Nationals’ front office is likely taking solace in the fact that Strasburg hasn’t experienced any pain or discomfort to this point in his prized right arm.
Nationals skipper Davey Johnson told reporters this week that the current plan calls for Strasburg to return to the major league mound around September 2. That blueprint, so far, remains unchanged.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)