Aug 17, 2011, 4:49 PM EST
The Sox just lost to the Rays, 4-0. They only got three hits in the game. Again. They got three hits in each game of yesterday’s double-header as well.
Part of this, of course, is facing good Tampa Bay Rays pitching. Today it was David Price, shutting the Sox out for eight innings. Yesterday it was James Shields who, even though the Sox won, they didn’t really get to. jeff Niemann did the deed in the nightcap. Also in play, obviously, is the absence of David Ortiz, the stiff neck of Adrian Gonzalez and a Kevin Youkilis who looks anything but comfortable out there due to his bad back.
The Sox are 8-8 in August and have scored fewer than four runs in 12 of those 16 games.
Meanwhile, the first place Yankees get another one in Kansas City tonight, followed by a trip to Minnesota to take on the less-than-formidable Twins, the series against the A’s and Orioles before they meet the Sox again.
Question: will the Sox’ offense right itself in time to make that series a true battle for first place, or will they be in a decidedly deeper hole by then?
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)