Aug 17, 2011, 4:09 PM EST
Good reading over at Deadspin today, as Barry Petchesky tells the story of a couple of people who have printed up anti-Yankees merchandise with the phrase “Evil Empire” on it and who have attempted to register the copyright. The Yankees, however, are none too pleased. Partially because it puts them in a bad light, but also because — oddly enough — they’re worried that people will be confused into thinking that the Yankees themselves are selling the Evil Empire stuff.
With the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry way less heated than it was six or seven years ago, this story almost seems quaint. But even if that part doesn’t jazz you, read it for the history of the phrase “Evil Empire,” which those of you who are old enough, will remember as a Ronald Reagan thing.
In other news: the Deadspin piece uses a picture of the Death Star from “Star Wars” with a Yankees logo on it, but doesn’t Yankee Stadium kind of look like the Death Star as it is?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)