Tom Ricketts hates Boise’s ballpark

Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT

Tom Ricketts

A few minutes ago I tweeted that how interesting a news day it is is inversely related to how early in the day I simply put “baseball” in a Google search in an effort to find something worth posting about. Well, I did that just a few minutes ago — pretty early for me — but as is often the case I found something randomly fun.

Seems that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts is taking a tour of Cubs minor league facilities.  And when he got to Boise, Idaho — home of a Class-A Boise Hawks — he didn’t play friendly ambassador:

“The facility here is below standard,” Ricketts told the Boise Chamber of Commerce Monday. “All the (minor-league) facilities we have are substantially better.”

The article then speculates that Ricketts’ statements would spur some local effort to get a new ballpark built. Also worth noting that Ricketts did not pledge any of his own or his team’s money to do it.

It’s times like these when I wish the people of Boise — or wherever this kind of thing goes down — would send simply tell the Tom Rickettseseses of the world to put up, shut up or drop dead.

1. Matt Aromando - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I hope someone responded by telling him most major league teams are substantially better than the Cubs.

2. bloodysock - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Even in it’s current condition it as to be more attractive than the blue field football stadium in Boise.

3. Kevin S. - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM

I’m guessing Ricketts isn’t a fan of the Smurf Turf?

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Let me restate his quote but in terms of reality:

“The [ownership in the North Side of Chicago] is below standard,” Ricketts [should have] told the Boise Chamber of Commerce Monday. “All the ([major and] minor-league) [owners we know of] are substantially better.”

5. a125125125 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I wonder what’s the matter with the Boise ballpark….Not enough parking? Too few bathrooms? Almost impossible to walk in a narrow concourse? Sounds familiar……I wonder how often Rickett self asseses his own ballpark?

6. tuftsb - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM

For the sake of Chicago Cub fans, I hope he sends Jim Hendry there to fix the problem.

7. Jonny 5 - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Yes this place you allow our team to play for basically nothing is a dump!!!

8. spudchukar - Aug 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

No mention in the Wednesday Idaho-Statesman regarding the Ricketts commentary. Overshadowed by the BSU football news, and the opening of the Rodeo last night. I believe the stadium was constructed after a character named Mal Fishman led the Boise Hawks to a championship. The BSU stadium needs expanding (yes the Blue Turf), so baseball stadium upgrades will most likely be on the back burner for local sports enthusiasts.

As Matt A noted, before criticizing the condition of Class A stadiums, perhaps explaining how a $140+ million dollar team stands at 54-69, 18 games out of first. How about dumping Soriano and Zambrano and spreading the wealth throughout the organization, or what is left of it after mortgaging most of it in the Garza deal.

9. tuftsb - Aug 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM

The Boise Hawks are 10-11 this season.

As a rookie league team, their 70 game short season schedule doesn’t start until late June. Ironically, that’s about the same time that the major league team seems to stop playing.

10. citifieldurinal - Aug 17, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I guess it reminded him too much of Wrigley Field.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3992)