Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
A few minutes ago I tweeted that how interesting a news day it is is inversely related to how early in the day I simply put “baseball” in a Google search in an effort to find something worth posting about. Well, I did that just a few minutes ago — pretty early for me — but as is often the case I found something randomly fun.
Seems that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts is taking a tour of Cubs minor league facilities. And when he got to Boise, Idaho — home of a Class-A Boise Hawks — he didn’t play friendly ambassador:
“The facility here is below standard,” Ricketts told the Boise Chamber of Commerce Monday. “All the (minor-league) facilities we have are substantially better.”
The article then speculates that Ricketts’ statements would spur some local effort to get a new ballpark built. Also worth noting that Ricketts did not pledge any of his own or his team’s money to do it.
It’s times like these when I wish the people of Boise — or wherever this kind of thing goes down — would send simply tell the Tom Rickettseseses of the world to put up, shut up or drop dead.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 124
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)