Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
A few minutes ago I tweeted that how interesting a news day it is is inversely related to how early in the day I simply put “baseball” in a Google search in an effort to find something worth posting about. Well, I did that just a few minutes ago — pretty early for me — but as is often the case I found something randomly fun.
Seems that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts is taking a tour of Cubs minor league facilities. And when he got to Boise, Idaho — home of a Class-A Boise Hawks — he didn’t play friendly ambassador:
“The facility here is below standard,” Ricketts told the Boise Chamber of Commerce Monday. “All the (minor-league) facilities we have are substantially better.”
The article then speculates that Ricketts’ statements would spur some local effort to get a new ballpark built. Also worth noting that Ricketts did not pledge any of his own or his team’s money to do it.
It’s times like these when I wish the people of Boise — or wherever this kind of thing goes down — would send simply tell the Tom Rickettseseses of the world to put up, shut up or drop dead.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (108)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)