Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
A few minutes ago I tweeted that how interesting a news day it is is inversely related to how early in the day I simply put “baseball” in a Google search in an effort to find something worth posting about. Well, I did that just a few minutes ago — pretty early for me — but as is often the case I found something randomly fun.
Seems that Cubs owner Tom Ricketts is taking a tour of Cubs minor league facilities. And when he got to Boise, Idaho — home of a Class-A Boise Hawks — he didn’t play friendly ambassador:
“The facility here is below standard,” Ricketts told the Boise Chamber of Commerce Monday. “All the (minor-league) facilities we have are substantially better.”
The article then speculates that Ricketts’ statements would spur some local effort to get a new ballpark built. Also worth noting that Ricketts did not pledge any of his own or his team’s money to do it.
It’s times like these when I wish the people of Boise — or wherever this kind of thing goes down — would send simply tell the Tom Rickettseseses of the world to put up, shut up or drop dead.
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)