Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Nicasio underwent surgery on a fractured C-1 vertebrae, which is the same injury that paralyzed actor Christopher Reeve and often leads to significant long-term problems. However, according to Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post in Nicasio’s case “the only visible sign of his ordeal was the neck brace he wore to the press conference.”
If everything continues to go well, Nicasio could be cleared to pitch in the Dominican instructional league as soon as November. “I’m lucky,” Nicasio said. “God was very good to me. Some people who have that injury don’t live.”
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy