Aug 17, 2011, 6:49 PM EST
It was a big surprise that it came to that. Andrew Bailey retired the first two batters he faced in a 6-4 game in the ninth, only to give up a double and an infield single, putting runners on the corners. After that, Nick Markakis laced a clean single to right field that DeJesus should have scooped with ease.
Instead, the ball rolled between his legs, and it turned out to be a fortunate break for the A’s. The Orioles tried to score Davis from first on the play, but DeJesus made a strong recovery and one-hop throw home, allowing Suzuki to plant the tag. Several seconds later — home plate Dan Bellino was waiting for Suzuki to show him the ball — the out call was made and the game ended with a 6-5 score.
Suzuki was the hero for Oakland. Besides the tag, he hit two solo homers in his biggest game of the season. They were just his 33rd and 34th runs batted in, a far cry from his totals of 88 and 71 the last two years.
It was a sloppy day for outfield play all-around. Baltimore left fielder Nolan Reimold gave Josh Willingham a two-run double in the first by breaking the wrong way initially and center fielder Adam Jones later turned a double into a triple for Brandon Allen by bobbling a ball that went over his head.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)