Aug 17, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
It was a big surprise that it came to that. Andrew Bailey retired the first two batters he faced in a 6-4 game in the ninth, only to give up a double and an infield single, putting runners on the corners. After that, Nick Markakis laced a clean single to right field that DeJesus should have scooped with ease.
Instead, the ball rolled between his legs, and it turned out to be a fortunate break for the A’s. The Orioles tried to score Davis from first on the play, but DeJesus made a strong recovery and one-hop throw home, allowing Suzuki to plant the tag. Several seconds later — home plate Dan Bellino was waiting for Suzuki to show him the ball — the out call was made and the game ended with a 6-5 score.
Suzuki was the hero for Oakland. Besides the tag, he hit two solo homers in his biggest game of the season. They were just his 33rd and 34th runs batted in, a far cry from his totals of 88 and 71 the last two years.
It was a sloppy day for outfield play all-around. Baltimore left fielder Nolan Reimold gave Josh Willingham a two-run double in the first by breaking the wrong way initially and center fielder Adam Jones later turned a double into a triple for Brandon Allen by bobbling a ball that went over his head.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 45
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 46
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 60
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)