Aug 17, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
It was a big surprise that it came to that. Andrew Bailey retired the first two batters he faced in a 6-4 game in the ninth, only to give up a double and an infield single, putting runners on the corners. After that, Nick Markakis laced a clean single to right field that DeJesus should have scooped with ease.
Instead, the ball rolled between his legs, and it turned out to be a fortunate break for the A’s. The Orioles tried to score Davis from first on the play, but DeJesus made a strong recovery and one-hop throw home, allowing Suzuki to plant the tag. Several seconds later — home plate Dan Bellino was waiting for Suzuki to show him the ball — the out call was made and the game ended with a 6-5 score.
Suzuki was the hero for Oakland. Besides the tag, he hit two solo homers in his biggest game of the season. They were just his 33rd and 34th runs batted in, a far cry from his totals of 88 and 71 the last two years.
It was a sloppy day for outfield play all-around. Baltimore left fielder Nolan Reimold gave Josh Willingham a two-run double in the first by breaking the wrong way initially and center fielder Adam Jones later turned a double into a triple for Brandon Allen by bobbling a ball that went over his head.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 38
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 23
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)