Aug 17, 2011, 6:49 PM EDT
It was a big surprise that it came to that. Andrew Bailey retired the first two batters he faced in a 6-4 game in the ninth, only to give up a double and an infield single, putting runners on the corners. After that, Nick Markakis laced a clean single to right field that DeJesus should have scooped with ease.
Instead, the ball rolled between his legs, and it turned out to be a fortunate break for the A’s. The Orioles tried to score Davis from first on the play, but DeJesus made a strong recovery and one-hop throw home, allowing Suzuki to plant the tag. Several seconds later — home plate Dan Bellino was waiting for Suzuki to show him the ball — the out call was made and the game ended with a 6-5 score.
Suzuki was the hero for Oakland. Besides the tag, he hit two solo homers in his biggest game of the season. They were just his 33rd and 34th runs batted in, a far cry from his totals of 88 and 71 the last two years.
It was a sloppy day for outfield play all-around. Baltimore left fielder Nolan Reimold gave Josh Willingham a two-run double in the first by breaking the wrong way initially and center fielder Adam Jones later turned a double into a triple for Brandon Allen by bobbling a ball that went over his head.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)