And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 18, 2011, 6:07 AM EST

Texas Rangers Andrus and Kinsler celebrate after defeating Los Angeles Angels during their MLB baseball game in Anaheim

Rangers 4, Angels 3: Watching the Angels get beat by the Rangers puts me in mind of some sci-fi movie where a group is under attack from an invading army. Mike Scioscia is the defending general in a command center somewhere and keeps getting reports that the defenses are crumbling. He steels himself and says “send out Santana,” who in the movie is thought of as some last resort defense, only to see him overrun. Then, tonight, he orders the “Weaver maneuver” — a really, really, last defense; like a ship captain ordering his helmsman to ram the intruder — to be deployed. If the usual narrative holds, Weaver gets annihilated and Scioscia orders a full retreat and the second half of the movie results in a change of tactics, guerrilla warfare or some sort of doomed resistance movement.  I’m having trouble putting my finger of what movie this is but I’m sure someone knows the general arc I’m talking about. Maybe it’s partly the end of “The Best of Both Worlds” when Riker orders Crusher to ram the Borg cube combined with a little bit of “Red Dawn.” What? No, I really have been with a woman before. Why do you ask?

Giants 7, Braves 5: On a day when yet another Giant — closer Brian Wilson — is unavailable due to owies, Matt Cain plays stopper, allowing only one run — unearned — in eight innings. Of course, without Wilson the bullpen kind of melted down in the ninth, but San Francisco’s 7-1 lead entering the bottom of the inning provided enough of a cushion.

Rays 4, Red Sox 0: Hit this one up yesterday. The best offense in baseball is suddenly not at its best.

Astros 4, Cubs 3: That man, Brian Bogusevic, comes through again with an RBI double and the Astros have themselves a nice little two-game winning streak. They should probably do champagne showers and everything for this.

Athletics 6, Orioles 5: Kurt Suzuki had two homers and held on to the ball on a wacko play to end it.  All kinds of ugly outfield defense in this one.

Cardinals 7, Pirates 2: Allen Craig hit two homers. Whenever he makes SportsCenter, my brother calls me and says “hey, your name is Craig Allen, and there’s a baseball player named Allen Craig! Did you know that?”  Yes, Curt, I knew that.

Reds 2, Nationals 1: Johnny Cueto allows one run in eight innings and drops that ERA down to 1.89.

Mets 7, Padres 3: David Wright pwned Cameron Maybin. Total pwnage.

Rockies 12, Marlins 5: Ricky Nolasco had beaten the Rockies five straight times. This time, not so much. Four RBI a piece for Carlos Gonzalez and Chris Iannetta.

Blue Jays 6, Mariners 1: Brandon Morrow struck out 12 Mariners in six innings. When do the Orioles play the M’s? I wanna see Adam Jones hit for the cycle.

Brewers 3, Dodgers 1: Betting on baseball is idiotic because anything can happen in one game. But if I had to bet on one game yesterday, it would have been Greinke and the Brewers beating L.A. That’s six straight for Milwaukee

Royals 5, Yankees 4: Yankees lose by one on a night with a controversial home run call? Yeah, we’re gonna have more about that later.

Indians 4, White Sox 1: Nothing like a fierce battle for second place in baseball’s worst division. But this year, it’s pretty much all we have.

Twins 6, Tigers 5: And of course, the division’s best team loses a series like this.

1. proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM

!) The Jays hit 3 home runs again in Seattle. I wonder how they managed to flash stolen signs to their hitters in Seattle. Perhaps they are using ESP.
    2) Carp is going to have a better career than Trout.
    3) The Yankees could not beat Bruce Chen. They had a chance to increase their lead over Boston, but failed.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Craig mentioned Brandon Morrow’s performance against his former team. The trade of Morrow for League has worked out well for both teams and both pitchers. Each of them needed a change of scenery.

• easports82 - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It’s “worked out” for both teams, but I’d still rather JackZ not have made the deal and Morrow been given a real shot at the M’s rotation.

• marinersnate - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Trading a young starting pitcher with the upside of Morrow for a bullpen arm like League was one of Zduriencik’s bigger brainfarts. (Mike Morse to the Gnats for Ryan Langerhans is another that comes to mind). Watching Morrow mow down the M’s last night like they were little leaguers while our staff tossed batting practise to the Jay’s for the second straight night was ugly. The trade may have “worked out” for both sides, but it seems it worked out far better for the Jays.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:58 AM

I agree that the Jays got the best player, but Morrow was going nowhere in Seattle. He needed a change.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 18, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Joakin Soria had gone flyout, single, single, walk, sac fly, walk while throwing 37 pitches. Yanks down 5-4 with bases loaded, and then Soria gets this strikezone

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:30 AM

ouch, that’s pretty ugly…couldn’t have happened to a nicer team though ;)

• cur68 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Jays also have ~10 game home run streak going, are 4th in the AL with runs/game and are now heading to Oakland to see if overwhelming offence can mitigate crappy closing pitching.

2. kiwicricket - Aug 18, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Soooo….
    Was I the only one who thoughtlessly but unknowingly reduced that Carlos Marmol article from yesterday, to a small tab at the bottom of the screen so it appeared as [Carlos Marmol Blows…] left it, then have their girlfriend later that evening whilst out to dinner ask them sarcastically ‘Isn’t Carlos a strange name for a Girl?’
    Anybody else????? No??

Hmmm. Thought not.
    Not entirely sure why my G/F making wild assumptions about me viewing Male orientated erotica made me feel awkward…it just did.*
    Dam you and your smutty blog Craig.

I have nothing else to contribute today.
    *denotes sarcasm

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Well your girlfriend is right on two counts, one, yes, that is an odd female first name, and two, Carlos does, in fact, blow.

• kopy - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:36 AM

You make me feel less paranoid about the fact that I always check what the tab at the bottom says when I minimize it before I walk away. Don’t want people at work to see something like that. I usually just make a new tab in my browser window and make that the active tab when I minimize it so the bar at the bottom just says “New Tab”. Yeah it’s too much, but whatever.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

kiwi:

You don’t have to denote sarcasm. You merely need to be sarcastic, then wait for some irate TPN watcher to miss the point and respond. Shortly thereafter, three more posts will follow from folks who are not quite so challenged on matters of subtlety, pointing out your sarcasm to the Neanderthal who tried to pwn you.

This technique is known as “economy of effort.”

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Then there’s the whole thing about the TPN and the economy…

3. 12strikes - Aug 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Looks like the rumors of the Phillies demise, after the loss to the Diamond Backs, was greatly exaggerated

• professor59 - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Phillies are intentionally throwing the series to the D-Backs so they won’t have to face SF in the playoffs. Halladay was in on it – I don’t see why Lee didn’t get the memo…

4. wlschneider09 - Aug 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM

How bout them Twins, taking a series from the Det

This post has been interrupted to return you to your regularly scheduled Phillies coverage. NBC sports apologizes for any boredom it may have caused.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:03 AM

NO PLEASE STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kopy - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:27 AM

But what are the Twins going to do about Nishioka? They can’t seriously keep paying him can they? He can’t do anything right! Oh well, thank god the Twins got rid of JJ Hardy so they have more speed on the basepaths. 2011 World Series, here we come!

5. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:03 AM

I hope that after Goldschmidt hit that bomb off LEFTY Cliff Lee in the 2nd inning last night, the people who were clamoring for Uncle Cholly to pull Halladay for the Bastid Tuesday night realized that all Kirk Gibson would have done is brought in this stud, who would have probably done to the Bastid what he did to a fresh Lee. That kid is a stud.

I’ll take Doc(52 of 52) v. Overbay over the Bastid v. Goldschmidt every time.

Ho hum…another Phillies win…they have only lost 2 in a row once since June 4th. Unbelievable.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Did you see the stat I linked yesterday that Tuesday was the first time ever that Halladay lost a game that he went into the 9th leading. Disagree about Bastardo, though….he is a beast. He would have got Goldschmidt to pop up to Martinez.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Bastardo is a beast, but I’ll take a fresh Cliff Lee in the 2nd inning over him anytime.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Huh? Well clearly.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM

My point is that if Cliffy gave up a two run bomb to the guy, then I have no problems at all saying that Bastardo probably would have done the same.

• professor59 - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM

At home. He had lost one on the road.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Nope, T-Mac and Wheels clarified that last night…first time ever. Of course, their info could be suspect.

6. FC - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Well that was a disappointing- oh wait we won? But it was a squeaker- wait what? We blew them out of the water? Yeah pretty sure in spite of the questionable moves by Charlie Manual- Oh none of those? Hmm… well that’s just great, what am I supposed to complain about now? As a Phillies fan I have a reputation for insecure whining in spite of great team overall performance I’m supposed to maintain… *pout*

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Utley didn’t have a hit.

• bigxrob - Aug 18, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Pence doesn’t look at the third base coach when running from second to third

• Jonny 5 - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Jimmy swung at the first pitch again…. Oh wait. Never mind.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Valdez hit into a double play…oh, a double? With two runs scored? Oh…

7. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM

What’s up with Johnny Quiznos? He’s like good n stuff. Ever since he kicked a LaRue he’s been skip-to-my-loo.

8. yankeesfanlen - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Nothing says welcome home to joisey like a Yankees loss to KC in a highly ridiculous game bookended by Beep-beep getting a leadoff single, getting caught stealing followed by a Grandy home run.
    Middle was yada-yada-yada leave everyone on base.
    Ending with Grumpy striking out with bases bulging.
    Girardi shouldn’t vbe allowed in the same state as TLR.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Look at the link I posted above. Posada had no business swinging at those pitches.

• professor59 - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Or being in the major leagues, but hey, he’s a cherished HOFer, right?

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Did you say that Posada is reading Hoffer? Hey, you can’t get too much self-help advice if you want to continue riding a bench in an expensive place like the Borg Cube, can you?

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Welcome back to reality, Len. May visions of beach babes bounce in your brain for weeks to come.

9. FC - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Mr “El Bravo” what’s up with Linebrink? While he hasn’t been as horrible as in ’09 and ’10 I’m still befuddled as to what value the Braves see in him. While I had the Phillies on my laptop, PeachTreeTV was kindly broadcasting the Giants/Braves game.

• Kevin S. - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I think Wren finally convinced Fredi that O’Ventbrel can’t pitch 162 games a year. How was he supposed to know the Bravos were mounting a ninth-inning comeback? I’ve slaughtered Gonzalez for his tactical buffoonery this year (and probably shouldn’t be sitting next to any breakable objects at the Ted tonight), but I don’t blame him for using the mop-up guy last night.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:42 AM

O’Ventbrel… I love it. I think your line of reasoning is quite sounds. Linebrink get’s games 29, 49, 69, 99, and 147.

10. roycethebaseballhack - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Obviously thrilled to see The Rangers start to bury the Halos in the AL West race, but part of me has this sinking feeling that they’ll start to get sloppy if their lead gets really big, and won’t have their head right with ball once the playoffs start. I mean…think about it; What’s Sherlock Holmes without Moriarity? What about Batman without the Joker? Without their arch nemesis keeping their senses sharp, these legends would be something else. I won’t rest until the ALCS begins. Until then – Go Rangers.

11. Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Tweeter Update: the web’s favorite mantodeaphobic, Tweeter himself, had a good night for the New Orleans Zephyrs, going two for four with a double, a homer and three ribbies, hiking his BA to .375, well above the .249 mark that supposedly got him exiled to the Big E-Z in the first place. I suppose professional pride figures into it someplace, but if I knew that a particular sort of behavior would get me sent, expenses paid, to New Orleans – even too early for Mardi Gras – hell, I’d misbehave like crazy. The music would be enough, but the food…um, what is the per diem for these guys anyway?

Feesh Folles: Ricky Nolasco stalked to the mound last night with a mission: break Dontrelle Willis’ team strikeout record. You would think that it wouldn’t be too difficult to catch up with a record like that on a team that routinely trades away its young stars for packages of EYPs as soon as they become arbitration eligible, wouldn’t you? I mean, how many strikeouts can a kid put up in four or five years?

Well, Nolasco got two of the three strikeouts he needed. Unfortunately, he also pitched artillery practice for the Rockies, who treated him the way Gaddafi’s gunners treated Misrata. Ricky got shelled for eleven runs and eleven hits in three execrable innings. During the postgame interview, his only explanation was “burrrrppppp.” The Feesh put up five runs, which would have been enough for Javy Vasquez or Anibal Sanchez on a normal night, but it wasn’t even as close as that sounds. On the bright side, the Iron Giant unloaded his fourth moonshot in four days, only three of which can be blamed on the altitude. Richard Branson has to be getting worried about the X-Prize for which he was a shoo-in once upon a time.

In other news, final steps were taken in and around Washington to secure the merger of the US government with TMZ General corp. This former zinc bushing….klik….chchchchchch….

• wlschneider09 - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I read that Tweeter pulled a groin. This true?

Must’ve forgot his smart phone in his locker and was running back for it between innings.

• wlschneider09 - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM

NVM, I just read the official ouch post

12. macjacmccoy - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM

“Phillies 9, Diamondbacks 2: An effective Cliff Lee keeps the Dbacks’ bats quiet and Hunter Pence reaches base four times, scoring three times. I credit the fiery bacon.”

I credit it to his disgust of bloop hits “he doesnt do that, he melts faces”

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5343)
  2. M. Kemp (3160)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2906)
  4. C. McGehee (2902)